Jack's Magic vs. HTH Metal Control

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Anybody have experience with the HTH metal control? I believe it is phosponic acid based rather than EDTA, similar to Jack's. I have used Jacks with good luck. Clears the iron I have in my pool right up when I add fill water. But...it's ~$25 a quart. I see amazon has HTH for 10 bucks a quart if you buy a 6 pack. Sounds too good to be true. I was going to try it out, but if anybody has a negative, or positive comment, I'd like to hear them.

I used that all winter after doing an AA treatment in fall using another sequestrate during the process. My stains are iron from our sediment dragged in by dogs and blown in. It has continued to lift the scale for months and has kept stains at bay. I didn't measure how much I used and probably used more than the minimal dose.

gg=alice

You can't that I'm aware of, I tried three years ago, but then ended up getting a TF100. Honestly if you are going to spend money on more testing reagents, just get one of the recommended kits from Taylor or TFtestkits. You won't regret it. :)

Phosphonic acid based sequestrants are better as a class compared to other kinds of sequestrants, but they are not all the same as each other. By all means, try out some less expensive brands. Just don't automatically assume they will be just as good as the expensive brands. A given brand might be just as good, or it might not, or it might vary over time. Most of the less expensive brands purchase chemicals in bulk from other companies and the bottle them. Depending on pricing they may change suppliers for different production runs. The best thing to do is to try it out and see how it works for you.

The top brands we recommend are recommended because they have worked consistently for many different people over a long period of time. Less expensive brands come and go and change over time. There is almost invariably a less expensive brand that works just as well at some specific point in time. But there hasn't yet been an inexpensive choice that has proven reliable over longer periods of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hope it works better for you than it did for me...a few years back when we first put up our Intex pool (15x48) I tried it. I first used to rec. dosage, did nothing. I gradually did higher and higher doses until I was using a couple bottles per dose, and it never worked. The only solution for me was to shock up to around 20 ppm, and once I had ~5000 gallons of tea I had to floc and vac to waste. Then I refilled with water softener water. From then on when draining and refilling the pool each season I always used softened water. It may have taken a couple days, but at least I didn't have to deal with the iron.

Thought I'd bump this and let you al know how it worked. I added 1 quart of HTH Metal Control to 14,000 gallons. I added it around 3 pm and ran the pump overnight. The next morning it was clear and blue again. I will say that in the past when I've used Jack's purple, it clear a bit faster, but I am happy with the results. For 10 bucks a quart, i'll keep using it.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I probably should have mentioned that sometimes our fill water is extremely high in iron content (+5ppm, I don't remember what it was the last time it was tested). So, our situation here is a little different than what most people here probably have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.