Stabilizer - Is this part of the BBB method?

Well of course it is :) We just don't like to put it as BBBS :lol:

You need to have a certain level in the pool (10 - 80 ppm, dependent upon your particular situation/ pool) and maintain ~ that level.

You'll only loose the CYA by removing water from the pool (*).

As for needing to add CYA whenever the pool is shocked - NOPE! He probably is of the mind that a weekly shock dose of cl is required, which is also wrong :eek:

If anyone is interested in why I say what I do - give Pool School a read and get a basic understanding of why we say what we say :goodjob:

I was just about to post a similar question, so I'm glad I saw this thread.
My question in addition to the OP's question is: since you have to wait a week for the CYA to dissolve before testing for it in your pool, how to you make sure you don't add too much of it since it takes so long to register on a test?

I want to make sure I don't add too much at once since I very much want to avoid having to do a partial drain later to bring down CYA.

That's what Pool Calculator is for. :) Put in your starting number and your target number and it'll tell you how much you need to add. We recommend adding a bit less than recommended, wait a week, test again and add the rest if needed. Because, like you said, it's better to be a bit short than to have to drain water.

Awesome, thanks. I keep forgetting about the calculator...
Also, I've seen different recommendations for adding the stabilizer:
a) to put it in a sock in the skimmer
b) to dissolve it in a bucket then slowly pour it into the pool in front of the skimmer
c) other suggestion??

Which way is the "best"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.