Thought Provoking Question

Apr 4, 2010
Arkansas
I have a new AGP and it is over my granddaughter's head. I did not have the forethought to get a liner and have the pool sloped so I am trying to figure out a way to put a platform inside the pool that she could stand on.

The first thing that came to my mind was to take an inflatable of some kind and weight it so that it would be suspended from the bottom.

Has anyone ever tried this or does someone have a better idea.

jmack1159 said:
I have a new AGP and it is over my granddaughter's head. I did not have the forethought to get a liner and have the pool sloped so I am trying to figure out a way to put a platform inside the pool that she could stand on.

The first thing that came to my mind was to take an inflatable of some kind and weight it so that it would be suspended from the bottom.

Has anyone ever tried this or does someone have a better idea.

Most pool stores sell a one piece bathing suit that has flotation devices sewn right into it...It is a little bulky but not like wearing a life vest...our neighbor's daughter was too small the last two years and she used this. I will see if I can find a link...

Invest in wedding cake steps. I bought the steps with my two young children in mind when we got the pool. It gave them a place to rest and still allowed others to enter and exit the pool.

AND, whatever you do, make sure the child cannot get to the pool when not in use. I know you probably know this but they are fast! Ask me how I know. :shock:

Casey said:
Invest in wedding cake steps. I bought the steps with my two young children in mind when we got the pool. It gave them a place to rest and still allowed others to enter and exit the pool.

AND, whatever you do, make sure the child cannot get to the pool when not in use. I know you probably know this but they are fast! Ask me how I know. :shock:

Casey...this is so true...Our neighbor has to have her mother with her as she is still young, my kids are soon to be 15 and 12...and the rule is hard and fast...NO ONE IN THE POOL WITH OUT AN ADULT! the neigbor girl has the floaty swimsuit, and if she needs a rest she will hold on to the side or grab any number of the 5 or so floaty things in the pool.

OK so how do you know??? I have to know!

Grape Ape said:
My (then) three year old loved her floaty suit.

The nicest part is there is no posibility of walking off the edge of the shallow end or off of the steps. They still need watching of course, but they have more fun.

I love watching our neighbor girl play in our pool in hers. She has a blast, and she is much more confident than in just a life jacket...which has a tendancy to float up over her head cuz she is such a tiny girl.

cubbybeave08 said:
Give this a try...it certainly would be better than ruining your liner with some sort of platform that could put a hole in your liner...

http://www.shop4lifejackets.com/flotation-swimsuit.htm

We got our pool when my son was 1. The summers he was 2 an 3 he wore these, by the time he turned 4 he could swim pretty well and we switched to "wings". Those suits are great....

What did you end up doing? I have a new pool that I have the same issue, it is over my 6 yr-old's head. She is an excellent swimmer, and has not had to wear "floaties" for quite a while. I just want a place bigger than the steps that she can just play (toss a ball, etc.).
I am considering the vinyl fence panels that Home Depot sells. If I mount one on top of a few 4" square vinyl posts, the footprint on the liner would be spread out quite a bit, and theoretically would have no greater chance of damaging the liner than the steps do IMO. I would weight down with ballast similar to what the steps have.
Has anyone else ever done something similar?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.