Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thought Provoking Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Thought Provoking Question

I have a new AGP and it is over my granddaughter's head. I did not have the forethought to get a liner and have the pool sloped so I am trying to figure out a way to put a platform inside the pool that she could stand on.

The first thing that came to my mind was to take an inflatable of some kind and weight it so that it would be suspended from the bottom.

Has anyone ever tried this or does someone have a better idea.
    24' Above Ground installed March, 2010
    22 Sand Filter With Zeolite
    1.5 HP Motor Pump

Successfully using the BBB Method!

pool-school

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thought Provoking Question

Quote Originally Posted by jmack1159
    I have a new AGP and it is over my granddaughter's head. I did not have the forethought to get a liner and have the pool sloped so I am trying to figure out a way to put a platform inside the pool that she could stand on.

The first thing that came to my mind was to take an inflatable of some kind and weight it so that it would be suspended from the bottom.

Has anyone ever tried this or does someone have a better idea.

Most pool stores sell a one piece bathing suit that has flotation devices sewn right into it...It is a little bulky but not like wearing a life vest...our neighbor's daughter was too small the last two years and she used this. I will see if I can find a link...
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Give this a try...it certainly would be better than ruining your liner with some sort of platform that could put a hole in your liner...

http://www.shop4lifejackets.com/flotation-swimsuit.htm
    Beave

4. Back To Top    #4

Invest in wedding cake steps. I bought the steps with my two young children in mind when we got the pool. It gave them a place to rest and still allowed others to enter and exit the pool.

AND, whatever you do, make sure the child cannot get to the pool when not in use. I know you probably know this but they are fast! Ask me how I know.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

My (then) three year old loved her floaty suit.

The nicest part is there is no posibility of walking off the edge of the shallow end or off of the steps. They still need watching of course, but they have more fun.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    Invest in wedding cake steps. I bought the steps with my two young children in mind when we got the pool. It gave them a place to rest and still allowed others to enter and exit the pool.

AND, whatever you do, make sure the child cannot get to the pool when not in use. I know you probably know this but they are fast! Ask me how I know.

Casey...this is so true...Our neighbor has to have her mother with her as she is still young, my kids are soon to be 15 and 12...and the rule is hard and fast...NO ONE IN THE POOL WITH OUT AN ADULT! the neigbor girl has the floaty swimsuit, and if she needs a rest she will hold on to the side or grab any number of the 5 or so floaty things in the pool.

OK so how do you know??? I have to know!
    Beave

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape
    My (then) three year old loved her floaty suit.

The nicest part is there is no posibility of walking off the edge of the shallow end or off of the steps. They still need watching of course, but they have more fun.
    I love watching our neighbor girl play in our pool in hers. She has a blast, and she is much more confident than in just a life jacket...which has a tendancy to float up over her head cuz she is such a tiny girl.
    Beave

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Give this a try...it certainly would be better than ruining your liner with some sort of platform that could put a hole in your liner...

http://www.shop4lifejackets.com/flotation-swimsuit.htm
    We got our pool when my son was 1. The summers he was 2 an 3 he wore these, by the time he turned 4 he could swim pretty well and we switched to "wings". Those suits are great....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Our grand daughter loves her floaty suit. They come in several different sizes so get one that fits without being too small.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

What did you end up doing? I have a new pool that I have the same issue, it is over my 6 yr-old's head. She is an excellent swimmer, and has not had to wear "floaties" for quite a while. I just want a place bigger than the steps that she can just play (toss a ball, etc.).
    I am considering the vinyl fence panels that Home Depot sells. If I mount one on top of a few 4" square vinyl posts, the footprint on the liner would be spread out quite a bit, and theoretically would have no greater chance of damaging the liner than the steps do IMO. I would weight down with ballast similar to what the steps have.
    Has anyone else ever done something similar?
    15X30 Opera AGP