Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Stuck PVC Threads

Stuck PVC Threads

I connected our Kreepy Krauly to the skimmer intake using the threader connector supplied with the Kreepy Krauly. I screwed it in what I thought was not too tight but now a few months later I cannot unscrew it. It is a 1 1/2 threaded bottom piece of the Kreepy Krauly pressure connector that is stuck. It is located about 15 inches down the approximately 8 inch cylinder wall of the skimmer. I tried to use an adjustable wrench down the hole clamped to the edge but that does not give much leverage. I then tried a small strap wrench with a rubber strap but I could not get it connected because the handle is about 6 inches long and there is very limited room with the pipe which is offset to the side. Of course, everything is currently under water. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to loosen this connection?

I thought about draining the pool somewhat and then spraying some sort of lubricant on the threaded what I think is PVC connection. What lubricant would work to first loosen it but still not contaminate the water?
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

Re: Stuck PVC Threads

I'd see if I could find an oil filter strap wrench kinda like this one. Then you could use a socket extension(s) to get in the tight spot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

You also might want to try putting a latex or nitrile glove on and try to unscrew it by hand again. I've found that it's hard to get a good grip with my bare hand/fingers on pvc that's underwater.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

A Basin Wrench might work. I would not use petroleum lubricant on pvc.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

Man, do I hate that little blue fitting. Had the same problem, and my solution was kind of along the same lines as a rubber glove. Coated rubber (kitchen rubber gloves, nitrile, etc.) didn't work. Went to the grocery store and got one of those rubber jar lid openers. Worked great. I barely thread it in now.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

Thanks to all. The jar lid worked but I might buy one of those strap wrenches any way when I am in the US for this and other uses.
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

Senior Member In the Industry

Next time, just get the fitting started in the threads then stop! You only need the threads to hold the fitting in place when the pump shuts off and the possible little back flow whoosh you may get.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.