phosfloc mess

ard

Jan 8, 2010
Was told I had high phosphates (1000) in my pool. They suggested using phosfree.
Reading here of some experiences. Apparently creating a mess using phosfloc. What kind of mess? Is phosfloc and phosfree the same type of product? this is a 92000 gal indoor pool in a recreation facility and I do not need any more work. Thinking I should just follow advice of some on here and not worry about phosphates.

Ard

Hi Ard, Welcome :wave:

Do not worry about phosphates. :goodjob:

If you can post a full set of test results we can advise better, but provided you maintain the proper FC to CYA ratio, your phosphate level is irrelevant.

What kind of test kit do you use?

POOL STATS

92,000 SALT WATER GENERATOR INDOOR POOL
FC 3
PH 7.8
ALK 185 WORKING TO LOWER NOW, ADDING ACID AND AERATING
CH 230 WORKING AT RAISING
CYA 0 INDOOR POOL
PHOSPHATE 1000

USING POOL CALCULATOR

FAS KIT FOR CHLORINE
TAYLOR K-2005 TEST KIT

ard said:
POOL STATS

92,000 SALT WATER GENERATOR INDOOR POOL
FC 3
PH 7.8
ALK 185 WORKING TO LOWER NOW, ADDING ACID AND AERATING
CH 230 WORKING AT RAISING
CYA 0 INDOOR POOL
PHOSPHATE 1000

USING POOL CALCULATOR

FAS KIT FOR CHLORINE
TAYLOR K-2005 TEST KIT

Sounds like you have a good handle on things... :goodjob:

I just want to make sure I understand - sometimes I'm dense.... :hammer: you have a K2005 and a FAS-DPD test for the chlorine (cuz the k2005 doesn't contain an FAS-DPD, just a DPD.)

So that level of chlorine (since there's no CYA) should prevent any issues with the phosphate level. Are you having any clarity issues or trouble maintaining the FC level? Is this what brought about the phosphate discussion? As long as your water is clear and your FC is stable... I see no reason to worry about it. :cheers:

Some indoor pools contain small amounts of CYA - although various places have banned its use in public pools. Richard "Chem Geek" has posted much data about why a small amount is beneficial (my understanding of the chemistry side of it is very limited :oops: :wink: )

frustratedpoolmom said:
I just want to make sure I understand - sometimes I'm dense.... :hammer: you have a K2005 and a FAS-DPD test for the chlorine (cuz the k2005 doesn't contain an FAS-DPD, just a DPD.)

I'm kinda thinking that he has the separate FAS-DPD kit from Taylor to use alongside his K-2005. At least that how I read it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the comments

Meant to put gals after the 92,000. Great place! Gym, pool, 22 seat indoor theater, game room, slot race car track, soccer,baseball fields, canoe and kayaks, and bass fishing. Children's home facility and 120 kids a day summer day camp.

Pool is clear, no problem there.

I bought the FAS kit because previous operator apparently had trouble detecting shades of red. Pool covered during minimum use times and FC got out of hand.
This is a plaster pool and bringing the alkalinity down. Is there any other way to bring alk down other acid and aerating?

Ard,
I have used the Phos-free in my commercial pools. It doesn't cause the water to become cloudy, or anything like that, it just prevents scum lines and things of that nature. You add 1 capfull for every 8,000 gallons, but don't be tempted to OD on it....I did that once & it caused the pool to have a stench....
What are you using for your pH control-acid or cO2?

phos floc is used to bring the phosphate levels in the thousands down to a more manageable number so phos free or something similar can be used. After using phos floc it will look like a big bed of cotton on the bottom of the pool which is then to be vacuumed out through waste.

Pmchick said:
Ard,
I have used the Phos-free in my commercial pools. It doesn't cause the water to become cloudy, or anything like that, it just prevents scum lines and things of that nature. You add 1 capfull for every 8,000 gallons, but don't be tempted to OD on it....I did that once & it caused the pool to have a stench....
What are you using for your pH control-acid or cO2?
Though Phos-floc will intentionally precipitate phosphates, Phos-Free will sometimes cloud pools (or cause "white bubbles") as described in this thread (among others). It probably depends on the phosphate level and probably more importantly on the TA and pH since a higher level of carbonates may cause more cloudiness initially with the Phos-Free.

If you are talking about prevention of scum lines, then you are probably not talking about Phos-free, but rather Pool Perfect or perhaps the combination product Pool Perfect + PHOSfree since these both contain enzymes that would help prevent scum lines. A phosphate remover by itself shouldn't have any effect preventing scum lines.

Question started when pool company told me to use Phosfree + pool perfect to lower phossphates which was at 1000. Began reading here and several referenced a mess created. I do not have trouble w/scum line.

Main problem is high alkalinity and continuous rising PH. I am using acid to take PH way down and the aerating back up to proper PH and acceptable alk .

Will high ALK cause rising PH. I am told they have used a lot of acid in this pool. It is a plaster pool and was told that caused an alk problem.

ard said:
Will high ALK cause rising PH. I am told they have used a lot of acid in this pool. It is a plaster pool and was told that caused an alk problem.
Yes, high TA (total alkalinity) will cause the pH to rise rapidly. Also having a SWCG causes the pH to rise, so you're fighting two causes of rising pH. From reading your post you appear to be trying to correct the situations. Lowering TA should help the pH some. It probably won't completely stop it but it should get much better if you keep the TA on the lower end. You're being smart raising the CH to keep the saturation index balanced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support