Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Raising pH with Borax

Raising pH with Borax

If Borax is good at raising pH would lye (caustic soda) also be effective?
    Is there a reason that lye is not being promoted but borax is?
    Can we swim yet?

Re: Raising pH with Borax

Soda ash is fine for raising pH, but...it will increase the TA as well. If you need to just increase the pH, then Borax is the better choice since it will not increase the TA appreciably.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

Maybe because borax is a bit safer to handle than lye?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Is borax easier to get than lye as well?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Soda ash is sodium carbonate. It can be found on the laundry aisle. Its called Arm and Hammer washing soda. Same thing as "pH up" at the pool store.

Caustic soda, or lye is sodium hydroxide. Yes, it's nasty. It's made from adding lime to sodium carbonate (although there areother ways to make it).
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Correct. Lye is tricky to handle safely and not always easy to find. Borax is safer, easier to find, and does the same thing (though you need about five times as much to have the same effect).

If handling lye doesn't bother you (it probably should) you can use lye to raise the PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

You can use caustic soda / lye if you want to, but as noted above, it's nasty stuff though so is Muriatic Acid. You can get it at The Chemistry Store though it's probably cheaper at places that sell to people making soap. The Pool Calculator lists lye in the lower section on the "Effects of adding chemicals".

Basically, 1 pound (16 ounces weight) of 20 Mule Team Borax (sodium tetraborate decahydrate) is equivalent to 12.2 ounces weight of Proteam Supreme (sodium tetraborate pentahydrate) which is equivalent to 8.0 ounces weight of pH Up / soda ash / washing soda / sodium carbonate which is equivalent to 3.2 ounces weight of caustic soda / lye / sodium hydroxide. It's concentrated stuff and, like Borax, will increase TA by only half as much as pH Up / soda ash / washing soda / sodium carbonate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I've always been curious as to what situation would prompt an immediate need to raise pH in the first place. If a person has been following the BBB method, what would cause a downward drift of pH that wouldn't correct itself over time? (Excluding an accidental overdose of MA of course.)
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

You carefully dismissed the two most common reasons for raising PH: when you are using trichlor, and accidentally lowering your PH below 6.8. Ignoring those two, the next one would probably be mysteriously low PH on opening, which is rare, but happens now and then.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    I've always been curious as to what situation would prompt an immediate need to raise pH in the first place. If a person has been following the BBB method, what would cause a downward drift of pH that wouldn't correct itself over time? (Excluding an accidental overdose of MA of course.)
    The accidental overdose is easy to do when you start with high TA. Mine was around 280 initially, and I had gotten used to dropping pH by about .2 with a half gallon of MA. When my TA finally got reasonable, it was hard to get used to adding much smaller amounts of acid.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You carefully dismissed the two most common reasons for raising PH: when you are using trichlor, and accidentally lowering your PH below 6.8. Ignoring those two, the next one would probably be mysteriously low PH on opening, which is rare, but happens now and then.
    Actually, I incidentally dismissed only one of the above reasons. (See the parenthetical statement at the end of my post.)

And the only reason I dismissed the first is because I normally don't think of trichlor when I think of BBB. My bad... But still it seems like it would take more than occasional use of trichlor to cause a problem...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

Just tested the pH, after applying all the "AlkInc" and its nearly the same around 6.8...what a waste! Found a 4lb box of borax and added it, I will get more today!

Will order the test kit as well!
    16,000 gallon, oval, in ground, fiberlass. WhisperFlow WFDS-26, 11/2 horsepower, Triton II Sand filter

I would expect "AlkInc" to raise the alkalinity (TA) and only have a very small effect on the PH.