Do you have to clean or replace sand when using chlorine/SWG

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Back when I used Baqua stuff, I had to run that cleaner solution through the sand filter a couple times a year, and replace the sand every year or two.
Now I'm doing BBB and I have a SWG...and as nasty as my pool was when I opened it this year, I was wondering if you ever have to clean and/or replace sand while using chlorine and/or a SWG?

I don't have a SWG, but no, you don't have to replave the sand every year or two. I pop the top off my filter in the spring and make sure the sand is still "up" (I lose some during backwash) and make sure its not channeled. I am replacing the sand this year as I don't know when the previous owners did it last, if ever, and its only 8 bucks for a 50lb bag.

I am going to schedule myself to replace the sand every 5 years or so.

It varies - how often folks change the sand. Some go 5-7 years, I'd say that's the average, but there are others on this forum who go longer and report no issues of note.

It's always good to check the inside though as Molson suggests.

I was inside my filter this spring, and my sand looked new after 5 seasons, which included a couple of pretty nasty algae cleanups. A few bugs and blades of grass laying on top, but otherwise it looked and felt like new.

using a SWG or bleach/chlorine should theoretically yeild the same thing. Other than higher salt levels in your water a salt pool is a chlorine pool....the source of the chlorine is the only difference. A SWG creates sanitizing chlorine from the sodiumchloride

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.