Jandy Epump advice

Hello, I am ready to purchase a Jandy epump. The reason Jandy is that I have the remote PDA for it. I will be also changing out my filter to the DEL60. My question I need help with is that there are 2 models of Jandy epump. one is the 1.5 and the other is the 2.0. I am coming from a .75 HP pump. The manuel states pipe plumbing sizes should be up to 2" on the 1.5 epump and 2 1/2 or greater on the 2.0. I have 2' pipe for a 35K gallon pool. Is there a benefit to to the 2.0? Will I cause problems if I go with the 2.0. Prices is very very close between the two. I understand that I will not get more volume through the pipe just more pressure. I am trying to avoid pipe problems down the road.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your time in advance.....

If you're coming from a 3/4hp single speed and the only two choices are 1-1/2hp or 2hp, I'd go with the 1-1/2hp model. The flow curves of those two pumps are very close together and since you have 2" piping you won't gain anything by going with the bigger one.

Boatfevor,

I also have a Jandy PDA control system and purchased an ePump because I thought that was the only variable speed pump which would be compatable with Jandy's control system. The Pentair Intelliflo pumps can also communicate with the PDA control system. Just be sure to call Jandy and make sure your firmware version has this capability. If I remember correctly, the PDA will also display pump flow (GPM) if you have the Intelliflo VF pump.

Even though I really like the ePump, I would prefer to have the Intelliflo VF so I could know what GPM the pump is operating at. With the ePump, you only know what RPM the pump is running at and how many watts are being consumed. I'm not trying to talk you out of the ePump but am just giving you information to make an informed decision.

I bought the 2.0 HP version.

You should ge the 2.0 HP version because the cost delta isnt great and although you may not need a full 2 HP now, you may in the future.

Think of it as being able to deliver UP TO 2HP.

Most of the time Im between 300 & 1000 watts far shy of the 1500 the pump is capable of and I expect longer life because of this.

I love this thing, its a very efficient quiet and powerful pump.

Uncle Dave

PS: what kind of boat do you have?

poolneophyte said:
Boatfevor,

I also have a Jandy PDA control system and purchased an ePump because I thought that was the only variable speed pump which would be compatable with Jandy's control system. The Pentair Intelliflo pumps can also communicate with the PDA control system. Just be sure to call Jandy and make sure your firmware version has this capability. If I remember correctly, the PDA will also display pump flow (GPM) if you have the Intelliflo VF pump.

Even though I really like the ePump, I would prefer to have the Intelliflo VF so I could know what GPM the pump is operating at. With the ePump, you only know what RPM the pump is running at and how many watts are being consumed. I'm not trying to talk you out of the ePump but am just giving you information to make an informed decision.

pool neophyte - Id prefer to have a VF as well.

I heard the Jandy Aqualink will control the vf pump, but cant finds a single person thats done it - do you know anyone thats done it?

I also couldn't find anyone to take the responsibility to make it work the Jandy guys and the Pentairs guys both said good luck!

Dave

Dave,

No, I do not know anyone that has used the Intelliflo VF on a Jandy control system. I was surprised when I saw a choice of variable speed pumps on the setup menu. I really like my ePump but wish it had the capability of showing the flow rate. I am in the process of researching a separate flowmeter but I do not have the required straight pipe lengths before and after the flowmeter where it will work correctly.

Had I known that the Intelliflo VF would work with the Jandy controls, I probably would have taken the gamble and tried it.

I did one of these spreadsheets for the Intelliflo but there is no reason it shouldn't work for the Jandy just as well. I plugged in the calibration numbers for the JEP 2.0. It is an approximation but it is better than nothing.

Attachments

• JEP2.xls
    108 KB · Views: 59
The flowmeter pipe length thing is a bit overblown,
I've moved a flowmeter around now from several areas and found little difference in the GPM reading
Any decent length of pipe seems to be fine.

Uncle Dave

Davegvg said:
pool neophyte - Id prefer to have a VF as well.

I heard the Jandy Aqualink will control the vf pump, but cant finds a single person thats done it - do you know anyone thats done it?

I also couldn't find anyone to take the responsibility to make it work the Jandy guys and the Pentairs guys both said good luck!

Dave

I'm in the early stages of building a new pool as an owner builder and am using the Jandy PDA controls, an Intelliflo VF for filtration, solar and cleaning and an Intelliflo VS for a waterfall.

Whilst I'm no where near ready to pump water I've powered up the pumps and PDA and everything appears to work fine. The PDA starts and stops the pumps and shows gpm for the VF and rpm for the VS. Connection between the Intelliflo and the PDA is very easy utilising the Pentair supplied 2 core communication cable which wires up directly the the PDA control centre.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mcoccia,

I'm glad to hear that the Pentair pumps communicate correctly with the Jandy controls. I knew that there had to be someone out there that has done this. I just wish I knew about this when I purchased the ePump since I may have looked more closely at the Intelliflo pump.

mas985,

Thanks for the spreadsheet, I will give it a try.

Dave,

What type of flow meter are you using? Do you feel that it is accurate enough to get you in the ballpark of the actual flow?

I think its called a blue and white (or something like that). Ill go check and report back in later.

For what I do its fine, I really only used it to set an upper limit on flow when the solar is open and Im looking for about 48 GPM or 4gm per panel. It bounces a tiny bit between 48 and 50 at around 3100 RPM (out of 3400) so pretty close to a full 2 HP to drive my solar at maximum yield.

Everything below that - it is a matter or how slow I can go and not have the SWG fault or have the cleaners stop working. (barracuda/polaris lcs, or dragonfly)

Wattage is just as important to me as GPM because Im trying to get to a fixed cost amount to run the pump.
I also have a photovoltaic install coming and would like to match the pump at no more than half of the arrays output to further drive down electricity costs.

Im eager to see how well the VF unit interfaces. I may just have to buy another pump!

Mcocia - Are you planning on running solar? help us picture hungry crowd out and get some pictures up of the Jandy running a VF.

Uncle Dave

Davegvg. Photos attached of the PDA communicating to the Intelliflo VF. Sorry about the quality and format. I don't have any software to make the iphone photos smaller. My trial times have been very limited since these are dry tests and I'm not too keen to destroy my seals.

I do plan to run solar. I'm in Australia and we don't tend to use panels as in the US.

I'm going with a company called Sunbather which supplies a multicore strip which I believe is somewhat similar to helicol. General rule of thumb is that the surface area of the collector is 100% of the pool surface area when using the cheaper black collector. As I'm using a grey collector to match my roof the total total area of collector will be 720sqft for my 650sq ft pool.

Another big difference with the Aussie systems is that most solar systems utilise a separate pump with independent controller and supply and returns to the pool. The spec of the pump usually supplied with a system of my size is 1hp with a flow of 55gpm at a 40ft head. Most solar installations typically use a 0.5hp or .75hp pump.

As I'm using the VF I'm using a common supply but an independent return to the pool.

[attachment=0:3ai1rbkk]pda3.pdf[/attachment:3ai1rbkk][attachment=1:3ai1rbkk]pda2.pdf[/attachment:3ai1rbkk][attachment=2:3ai1rbkk]pda1.pdf[/attachment:3ai1rbkk]

Attachments

• pda1.pdf
    236.6 KB · Views: 29
  • pda2.pdf
    187.4 KB · Views: 27
  • pda3.pdf
    237 KB · Views: 41
Sweet, very encouraging

Yeah- id do as little dry testing as is necessary.

Sounds like your solar setup will be pretty trick
I love my solar/epump setup, it makes and enormous diff in my pools usability and performance.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• DSC05983.jpg
    DSC05983.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC05980.jpg
    DSC05980.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC05986.jpg
    DSC05986.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 296
I am also very interested to see how this combo works out, I was told I would need the Intellicom to interface with the Aqualink PDA. I think I prefer the Pentair pump as I have a Wisperflo 2hp now. In Vegas we can get a $200.00 rebate for upgrading to a VS pump.

This is a response I received from Jandy....

The IntelliFlo can be connected to the AquaLink RS PDA with Revision 4.1 firmware by just connecting a 2 wire cable between the pump and the Power Center PCB. I have attached the manual for your convenience. Please see Section 3.3.4. The installation instructions I have attached state that the pump should be connected to the filter pump relay, however, we have come to find out that this will cause phantom errors on the pump, so we now recommend connecting the pump directly to a breaker so it has power at all times. Hope this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.