Health Dept Reporting.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
My wife and I planned to go to Europe this week, volcano messed up all those plans. So we took off for a domestic trip for a few days, just to salvage what we could. Checked into a chain hotel. Usually I'm happy with them. I'll skip the check-in headache and jump to the main topic. I had a look at the indoor pool. I smelled it first, from the hallway, with the door closed! Talk about the Chlorine odor. The Combined Chlorine odor. The pool is disgusting! It's murky and olive green. Can't see the bottom even at the shallow end. And there are kids swimming in it!! :pale:

I didn't even go to the manager. I searched the internet and found out who regulates commercial pools and ratted them out. If the manager cared, he woulda fixed it weeks ago, before it turned disgusting. Here's the picture [attachment=0:1udb137i]DSC00277.jpg[/attachment:1udb137i].

Attachments

• DSC00277.jpg
    DSC00277.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 633
Congratulations. Your introduction to TFP has now entitled you to membership into an elite group of people who will never, ever, EVAR trust anyone else's pool ever EVAR again. You may now be openly disgusted as you ponder just who 'manages' pools at hotels, community centers, and condos. Feel free to refuse to swim in your neighbor's pool, and to take a sample of water back to your house in a Dasani bottle just to check it yourself.

Enjoy!

LOL, Ohm Boy...we're all definitely the Sparkly Pool Snobs (a good healthy thing to be) around here, and there's no going back. :mrgreen: Good for you, Richard! I just like to know what's in the water, or what's NOT in the water that should be. Ugh. Makes it really hard to get in a hotel pool now. OMG...that hotel pool water is NASTY. For shame. :grrrr:

LOL

Since I was but a wee lad I did not like to swim in a strange pool, number one reason was because most lads wee.
Im glad to know there are others out there that think the same way. My girl thinks Im odd because of it but after showing her this post, she is starting to think again.

I've been banned from neighbors pools because I take my test kit with me when I go. I've gotten so good that the grandkids won't swim in anybody elses pool without asking how they test their water and then if it isn't as sparkly as ours they don't go in.

So welcome to the sparklypoolitis club! :party:

Richard320 said:
My wife and I planned to go to Europe this week, volcano messed up all those plans. So we took off for a domestic trip for a few days, just to salvage what we could. Checked into a chain hotel. Usually I'm happy with them. I'll skip the check-in headache and jump to the main topic. I had a look at the indoor pool. I smelled it first, from the hallway, with the door closed! Talk about the Chlorine odor. The Combined Chlorine odor. The pool is disgusting! It's murky and olive green. Can't see the bottom even at the shallow end. And there are kids swimming in it!! :pale:

I didn't even go to the manager. I searched the internet and found out who regulates commercial pools and ratted them out. If the manager cared, he woulda fixed it weeks ago, before it turned disgusting.

You should have discreetly grabbed a sample to take home and test :-D Who knows what was in THAT water!!!

Good for you, Richard!

Will you take your kit with you on your next trip where a pool is involved?

When you do that, you not only have sparklypoolitis, you also have pooliosis :lol:

We have a support group on the forum for this, um, condition :mrgreen:

Butterfly said:
Good for you, Richard!

Will you take your kit with you on your next trip where a pool is involved?

When you do that, you not only have sparklypoolitis, you also have pooliosis :lol:

We have a support group on the forum for this, um, condition :mrgreen:
I would have brought the kit but we flew, and they are so fussy about carry-on liquids!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I should have done that in February when I ran across a similar situation downstate. I just wouldn't let my daughter swim. She took one loak at the water and was ok with that decision. :)

LOL! Now when a child looks at a pool and won't go in because they question the water, you know that you have done your job. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I've got membership in that club too...even before TFP I took my test strips on vacation with me...not much but something. My hubby is always embarassed but since he's kinda a bigger guy, always provided the shield I needed to ever so gracefully dip that strip! We were in Myrtle Beach once and the spa in the resort was visibly DISGUSTING!!! The pool, not much better. I tested, went straight to the lobby desk and asked for a phone book. (pre smart phones) Mr. Southern Hospitality desk manager asked if he could help me find something, ma'am. I said, 'just the person managing your pool and hot tub cuz I'm calling the local health department (insert batting eyelashes here, sipping my cocktail) and if their tests look anything like mine did, sir, they're gonna shut you down.

Told hubby I would sooner go on vacation without my hair straitening iron than my new TF100...

Question: Don't commercial/hotel/ships pools have to keep testing records? I mean, in your experiences are they posted somewhere or can you ask for them? I'd like to be able to see what our community pool tests are if they are supposed to test every so many hours or what not...

Whaddya know? The Health Dept was as good as their word. Not red-tagged, but almost as good. I didn't see anyone in there working on anything, but wow you could smell Chlorine all the way out to the entrance!
[attachment=0:tb59j9pj]DSC00409.jpg[/attachment:tb59j9pj]

Attachments

• DSC00409.jpg
    DSC00409.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 519
Well, signs were down Friday evening when we returned, and folks were in the pool. I wasn't sure the health dept gave them the all-clear or if they just figured he's a government employee, he won't be here after 5 or on the weekend. So I sent another email. I got this reply - so he does work weekends, or at least checks his emails.
The staff was told to keep the pool closed until the main drains were visible. The free chlorine and pH levels were within range but I told them to close the pool due to the cloudiness. I hope the pool looked better on Friday. I'll check it again next week.
You know, even if I knew nothing about pool chemistry, I'd still be wary of a pool so cloudy I couldn't see my feet. I don't know how people can get in it.

Yay for you Richard! Well done!

I have yet to go on any sort of trip or vacation since I bought my little money pit called my pool (and house), but I surely would take my test kit, and I would put it in my checked luggage if I were flying. Ignorance WAS bliss before I knew about how to test pool water. Now? The test kit will go with me on the August family vacation to the beach (rental house with pool), it will go with me in my dreams to the Ritz Carlton......

Sparkly clean water is the only water for me~~

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.