Lighting: LED vs Fiber Optic

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
I am considering adding MagicStream water features by Pentair (LINK) to my new pool build. For those that are unaware, these are deck jets that are lit up via LED and fiber optics. In looking over these water features, I notice a significant difference in price between the LED and fiber optic models (almost a $400 difference).

Why would LED be so much more expensive than the fiber optic? Is there a difference in installation, longevity or energy efficiency that I should be aware of?

LED
Fiber Optic

In my experience, LED lights are significantly brighter. I have fiber optic lighting in my diving board to "colour" the waterfall and it is barely noticeable, so I never turn it on.

Both are very efficient, energy-wise.

If your budget allows it, go for the LED.

Our pool came with the house, and with a Fiberstars fiber optic light system. In two words: It sucks.

LED's are expensive simply because they're still bleeding edge technology, but how long they will really last remains to be seen. I don't believe that anyone has finished testing the "Lasts for 30 years" claims of uber-bright LED's, so there's some risk of failure after the warranty expires.

My brother's pool has fiberoptic lighting. Mine has LEDs.

Frequently when I'm at his place, I'll wonder "why isn't the pool lit?" Then I'll notice, it is lit... I can never tell by looking at the water, though.

QCJLo said:
Wow! That's pretty overwhelming evidence! Does anybody not regret their fiber optic purchase over the LED?

I hated mine and I didn't even pay for it; they gave it to me! I'd really be upset if I'd have had to pay for it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.