TheMilkman's Pool Build Journal

themilkman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 22, 2010
I figure this will be a fun way to look at all the frustration of building my pool. Hopefully everyone will enjoy watching it come together. This is a fairly inexpensive vinyl pool but hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes like I've learned from others on here.

Rule #1 - If your on a septic tank, get that checked and your repair area found before you begin design or you could be in for a big suprise (like us).

So we haven't signed a contract yet because I am in the process of listing everything out that we expect and making sure it's included. I can thank TFP for this.

Fence is designed and purchased, who knew they would be so much.

So on with the pictures!

Day 0 - Pool Design 18'x36' Kidney with Blue Marble Step, Saltwater and Intelliflo Pump upgrade.

cook_kidney_pool.jpg

Day 1 - Taking off the old deck. Sold on Craigslist, everybody looking for wood and decks so don't throw that old one away, make some money on it. Hello LED Pool Light!

photo-768396.jpg

Day 2 - Still taking off the deck. Who knew taking one apart carefully would be so tough. Why did I sell this thing again?

photo-705093.jpg

More to come!

Looks like its going to turn out nice. Craigslist can work wonders. We had a huge walnut tree to remove. I found a guy on craigslist thats cutting it at no cost to me, becasue he can sell the lumber. Compare that to $700-$800 for a tree company to remove it.

Day 5 - Signed the contract tonight.

Read through the "What would you change if you could do it again" thread and got some great suggestions. Got the pool builder to upsize the piping to 2 1/2", add electrical outlets around the pool, updated the concrete deck drainage plan and planned out the backflushing piping so it won't kill the grass.

We also worked out where dirt and pool kit will be located to minimize damage to the yard.

So far so good with our PB, we spent two hours going through a list of everything we had questions on or was vague before we signed. He cleared up everything and added it to the contract before it was signed. He listed out model # and information for every accessory to the pool which I liked.

I will post up my spreadsheet on google docs next week so someone can use it when they sit down with their builder. We actually added a few more returns once we looked at the pool and I mentioned I wanted one on the steps etc.

I will continue to update this week as things get underway.

The only thing we left was the water feature at time and materials since we have no clue how to do the rainwater sheer descents we want. We want to do them ourselves to save cash as we are right near our pool building budget now due to the shape change of the pool. Hopefully I can list out what we want and can get some suggestions from you guys and gals here on TFP.

Day 6 - After a funeral in the family we are back at it. My dog Dozer doesn't look to happy about losing his deck to lay on.....

photo-768591.jpg

The deck is gone and we have started digging up the existing sprinkler system to be rerouted around the pool. This NC red clay is fun to dig in.

photo-789495.jpg

We are going to layout the pool on Monday with the PB and the pool kit should be delivered. Crossing our fingers the weather holds out so they can start digging on Tuesday.

cobra46 said:
Is he called Dozer because he likes to dig or sleep?

I suspect he will be overjoyed after he gets a pool to swim in.

First of all I have to tell you your pool is incredible. My pool hopes to grow up and be like your pool one day. Really enjoyed reading through your build and I am just as thorough as you about these things. Must be an Engineer thing since I have to do it at work all day.

We got Dozer from the local Humane Society and kept his name. We are going with the sleeps a lot thing and he snores really loud too. Altho everybody else thinks he's named Dozer because he is 100 lbs of solid dog that bulldozes people over cause he thinks everybody is his best friend. :-D

Day 7 - Edging the top of the yard for the privacy fence to be installled. This was a bigger job than I thought too, especially getting rid of the dug up sod. I had lots of little helpers tho. Every kid in the neighborhood can't wait for this pool to be done.

photo-749457.jpg

PB comes tomorrow morning to lay out the pool!

Day 8 - Pool kit Delivered. Really loving the blue granite step. Pool builder threw in for free.

photo-735560.jpg

We laid out the pool for the backhoe. Digging will be Wednesday due to some rainy weather here in NC. The pool looks much bigger once it is laid out.

photo-756990.jpg

I don't know whether to start a new thread or just ask the question here but I really need some advice on a water feature. Priced the retaining wall yesterday (Allan-Block) that we will be installing ourselves to save on costs. I really need to decide what we are going to do so I can tell the PB how much of my hill to dig out for the wall.

So, here are my questions....

1. What is the best bang for your buck water feature on a saltwater pool? I read you may have issues with stones, we really don't like the fake stone look, want something natural or artistic to go with our pool and yard. We were thinking of doing two tipped over urns with large round planter in the middle on the back tip of the kidney. I read about issues with water running back on lipped edge, sealing inside, etc. Nothing seems to be easy do it yourself with the water feature.

2. The other choice would be a spillover spa for the running water sound. Those of you with them are they worth the hassle? By the time I do the wall, urns, piping, etc I may be near the cost of a spillover. We were thinking of just adding a separate hot tub later but maybe now is the time to wrap the water feature and the spa into one.

Thanks!

Looking forward to your build photos. You're going to have a very nice pool. One thing that I'd like to see answered when talking about hottubs and spas is the difference between the two. With a hottub, you keep the water hot around 100degrees. With a spillover spa, I assume that this isn't possible because youre circulating pool water through the spa. If it is possible, it means heating the pool water which is probably around 80 degress up by 20 degrees instantly to return into the spa. The costs of doing that must be incredibly high compared to just maintaing the temp of a hottub. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to see what others say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ncbrit said:
Looking forward to your build photos. You're going to have a very nice pool. One thing that I'd like to see answered when talking about hottubs and spas is the difference between the two. With a hottub, you keep the water hot around 100degrees. With a spillover spa, I assume that this isn't possible because youre circulating pool water through the spa. If it is possible, it means heating the pool water which is probably around 80 degress up by 20 degrees instantly to return into the spa. The costs of doing that must be incredibly high compared to just maintaing the temp of a hottub. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to see what others say.

Some built-ins have a "spa mode" where it recirculates JUST the hot tub water (the spillover stops) and thus once the water is to temp, you just maintain it.

Day 9 - Our first delay....day started out great too.

Playset sold on Craigslist and hauled off. My daughter is upgrading to a trampoline, she's too cool for a boring swing now according to her. :cool:

photo-779572.jpg

Fence company showed up and put up the wood privacy in the back. A little miscommunication at first but we got everything straightened out. Neighbor and I put in the fence for privacy for both our pools, upper neighbors not happy but oh well, can't keep everyone happy. Got to use the Pano app for my iPhone on this one too!

photo-794455.jpg

And now the delay....electric company never came out and marked so no digging tomorrow. We are delayed until Thursday or whenever they get out here.

Project came to a grinding halt. Turns out our electric line runs right through the middle of our pool unlike what the first guy that came out and marked stated. Took our power company this long to come out and mark. So a call to them to relocate the line and I am imagining a 2-3 week delay in our dig.

Oh well, that pool kit looks nice in my yard tho :)

Maybe I'll dig a small hole in the yard, line it and put my steps in it for a mini pool until my regular one is built. :hammer:

hope it doesnt take that long. We're having to move our aerial service. The electrician has had to put in a new meter base, which was inspected on Monday. They called the power co Tuesday, and the engineer was out to look at things yesterday, so maybe it wont take as long as you think.

Yep, Duke Power here. Engineer was supposed to call within two business days. It's been two and a half, surprise, surprise no call.

I am going to call in the morning to see if I can jumpstart the process.

It's ironic, I have a pool kit in my yard and can't dig the hole and you have a hole in the yard with no pool kit :twisted:

Not to be a doomsayer but.... we are in the process of a complicated addition/remodel with a pool on the tail end of the build. We had EVERY service running through the proposed pool site, soooo I started to get things moving. Plumbing was easy and fast, but expensive. $4k to run a new line and plumb in sewer for 2 new bathrooms (sink shower watercloset and tub). Phone was free and getting the new line run was easy, just cut the old one and call them out for repair and tell the guy what the story was. He ran a temp and told us to call again when everything was done. Cable was the same. Power... well that was a nightmare. In the beginning, the plumber nicked the insulation off a leg of the power line (in november) and didnt tell anyone, and covered up his deed. Dec 20th we mysteriously lost a leg of the power to the house. Called our local power co (entergy) and they came out and put a big ole phase shifter on the remaining leg and pulled the entire service over that one leg until the holidays were over. January 15th rolls around and they show up to locate the problem and repair it. I hadnt planned (or budgeted) for the power move at this time, but, heck if they are going to dig anyway.... so I talk to the engineer and explain the long term plans. He says "no problem we will just fix this today, and then when you are ready to relocate the line (and meter pan) just call and thats no big deal.

They located the problem in the line and began to dig... and hit the old sewer line which evidently was full of **** and flooded the hole... scratching plans for repair. It was a very very wet couple of months, and we had a mud pit for a backyard, so they couldnt get the heavy equipment in to trench. This was happenning with me not home, and at work, so without my input they decided to JUST LAY A NEW TEMP FEED THROUGH 3 YARDS ON TOP OF THE GROUND, and left telling us to call when it was dry.

I couldnt (nor my neighbors) believe they did this. I called and confirmed that yes this was ok by the rules, on a temporary basis. Sigh. None of us felt comfortable letting our kids run loose in our backyards with this unbreakered 220V 4/0 cables running on the ground, so we waited. And waited. I got far enough along in my build to relocate the meter pan and service entrance, and since it was shorter run to the new service thought I could lay some pressure on them and get them in here even if it was a mud pit, by whining "think of the children!" It worked. In February (late) they came out to dig a new trench and lay new cable to the new service pan. The big day arrives and they show up at the buttcrack of dawn and move the equipment into my backyard. The pedestal is catty-cornered in a neighbors yard. We all stomp through the mud to go have a look-see and the foreman says "Crud! lookit that tree!" Evidently 30 years ago someone thought it was a brilliant idea to plant an oak tree RIGHT NEXT TO the pedestal. They cant get the cables to the pedestal through the roots of the tree (they say) so they call an engineer out, and he comes up with two options... 1- relocate the pedestal (which feeds 4 houses) or 2- bore me a new line from the transformer (several houses away) and put me a pedestal of my own in my yard. I dont care which just get it done! They leave promising to return as soon as the engineering work is done and all the permits etc pulled. Temp still in my back yard and 2 others. On the ground.

Another Month rolls by and I get on the phone and *very politely* chew butt and *very politely* go ballistic up the chain of command tp try to get something done. I am promised swift action.

Sure enough the next morning I have 6 Line trucks in my street and a whole crowd of hard hats in my back yard. The consensus is... I have to have a pile of dirt removed from my yard before they can do ANYTHING. Oh Boy. I ascertain who is senior and ask him inside for a cup of coffee and a chat. I explain the history, my feelings, and how I would like things to turn out. He counters with a compromise and a promise to get everything done IMMEDIATELY as soon as I get the dirt moved. I ask is there any way they can get the temp moved and off the ground today. Yes.

They run the new temp suspending it through the trees to my new meter pan and leave.

I immediately get the dirt moved. The Next Day.

They, actually living up to their word immediately come over and bury a new line, to my new service, to the old pedestal, without moving it (there were six very sweaty guys with sharpshooter shovels and picks and sawzalls workign that last 5 feet to the pedestal). I worked hard bringing them cold drinks and cracking jokes about if they were electricians, how come they all had plumbers crack? My humor was unappreciated, but the cold drinks won them over.

Upshot? 5 months to get the line moved. Very upside? I never saw the bill. They billed it all to the plumber for nicking the line and re-burying it. I left out the part of the story where the plumber went apes**t on the entergy engineer on the phone.

If I had to pay for it, they said the whole shooting match would have only cost me around $300. ???

Cool story bro eh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.