Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - does this sound right?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - does this sound right?

We are building a pool with the following specs. Can you please advise if this is adequate or too much (equipment)? We told the PB that we wanted a pool that is low maintenance, but do not want to spend more than we have too.
    37'5"L x 13'6"W
    Perimeter= 91
    Pool area= 414
    Whisperflow 2HP
    2 Bermuda Skimmers and 8 returns Plumbed independently 2.0" scd 40 PVC
    Auto Chlorinator
    Auto Fill and overflow
    Pentair Platinum Cleaner w 3/4 pump
    500 watt Ameri Lite Pool

-----
    Pentair Intelliflow Filter Pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 4 Aux Pool Computer with IC 20 Salt System
    Pebble Tech (aqua blue - will this be too dark for a pool this size?)

Also I need advise on decking. They recommended pavers decking because it was to be lower maintenance than pea gravel or concrete since they can crack, but I have looked at a few pictures of pools in Houston and most of the ones I have looked at have pea gravel or some sort of concrete. So do I am torn between the cost vs maintenance of pavers pea gravel.

Please help me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - does this sound right?

I don't see a spa, so why a 2 HP pump Way too big for a pool only (and I don't like the 2" plumbing for it either!)!

3. Back To Top    #3

x2 on the pump being too big.

You can see what I have in my sig and its more than sufficient. You'll just end up wasting electricity with a pump that big.

The Auto Chlorinator also seems like a waste. I haven't used my feeder in over two years.
    Pool Specs: 18x36 (~ 24,000 gal) IG vinyl w/ chlorinated water and 75 GPM sand filter with a 1 HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Concrete always cracks, but if it is installed correctly it will only crack along the expansion joints and you will never notice. Concrete is about as low maintenance a deck as I can imagine, though pavers are a close second. The advantage with pavers is that it is much easier to make repairs, if repairs are ever needed.

Pea gravel can be rough on your feet. On the other hand, it is inexpensive.

I would expect to see a main drain. It isn't required, but is very nice to have.

I can't imagine that they are going to run all 8 returns independently. Usually they would be paired. Not a big deal though.

Is there a 2HP WhisperFlo, or an IntelliFlo, or both? As others have already said, a 2HP WhisperFlo is way too much for that pool (as listed). An IntelliFlo is a great choice if your electrical rates are higher than average. If your electrical rates are low I would suggest a two speed pump, perhaps 1 HP full rated.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually I think the inline chlorinator is a good idea - especially at the beginning of a pool's curing process when the chlorine/cya levels need to be raised slowly and the tablets being acidic help keep the rising PH/TA in check, as they can rise rapidly when the plaster is curing. Since you can't add salt for the first 30 days the chlorinator is good for this purpose. Plus, if something should happen to the salt cell you always have it as a back up....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    (and I don't like the 2" plumbing for it either!)!
    Curious about this comment as my impression from cruising many other plumbing-related posts is that 2" gets you lower head and so higher pump efficiency. Especially with a larger pool like this.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    (and I don't like the 2" plumbing for it either!)!
    Curious about this comment as my impression from cruising many other plumbing-related posts is that 2" gets you lower head and so higher pump efficiency. Especially with a larger pool like this.
    --paulr
    Bigger plumbing does allow pumps to work more efficiently, but 2" is too small for a 2 HP pump. I'd be okay with it up to a 1 HP pump, but I would personally start increasing diameter after that. I would like to see a minimum of 2 1/2" pipe coming and going for a 2 HP pump, depending on length of run. 3" might be better.

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I didn't see a filter specified in your original post. You want to make sure that is big enough!

Also, with all your returns plumbed individually, I don't think you would need a booster pump to run a cleaner. Couldn't you just close some of the returns so the cleaner gets enough pressure?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden