Another leak problem

Apr 15, 2010
So glad that I found this site. Thanks for all the great help here. Altho I see lots of
posts about leaking, I don't find what we seem to have going on.

We have a gunite pool/DE filter. One morning a while back, I noticed that the pool level
was suddenly down about 8 inches. There was standing water in the pump
area. At the time, my best "fix" was to drain as much water out of the pipes and "open"
the system to hopefully avoid freezing.

Now trying to deal with the problem. There was no apparent loss when the pump was off but when turned on, we see water flowing at as full strength as the size of the opening allows from
what I would describe as the stand under the filter tank. The opening is at the very bottom of
the stand (~1/4" x 1"). We are thinking that perhaps the leak is from the pipe that
returns water from the filter to the pool. Does that makes sense and if so, is it fixable by us? Actually, I can't even
see how you take the filter tank off the stand without removing pipes. Is there a way to check that for sure? If that is the source of the problem, is that all "above ground" and an easy fix for a pool company or will all of the piping from there to the pool have to be replaced?

Attempting to add a px of the tank and hole. If this works, the slit is at the bottom of the base,
just above the ground.

Attachment:
P1040806-Edited.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• P1040806.JPG
    P1040806.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 64
Take another pic a little farther back so we can see the entire filter and associated plumbing. You'll probably have to remove the plumbing to gain access to the bottom fitting(s). I believe you can repair it if your moderately handy. If it were me, I'd take a small inspection mirror and flashlight and see if I could figure out exactly where the leak is. That way you'd know whether to plan on a few PVC fittings or a replacement filter. You might be able to pake a pic with a camera held up to the round hole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.