Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter questions

We have a Summer Escapes (General Foam Co from Walmart) 18x48 pool. It hold a little over 6000g. After fiddling with the existing filter all summer, I am upgrading to a sand filter this spring before I open it. I really wanted to work with a local pool company until I'm a little more sure of myself, so I have 2 options. The first is a 1.5 hp Pentair with a 18 in sand filter. I'm really afraid that this is just overkill. The other option is a 3/4 hp Hayward with a 14 in sand filter. The pool supplier told me this one was created to meet the needs of a smaller pool and all the fittings come with it. This one would turn over our entire pool in a little less than 3 hours and is the one I am leaning toward. I did ask if I decided to get a 24" pool if this one would work with it and was told that it would. I'm adding the Intex SWG while I'm upgrading. According to both companies, the filter is matched correctly with the pump.

OK, so in my shoes, which one would you go with, the Hayward system or the Pentair? I have read so much information lately I'm not even sure where to begin anymore!
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter questions

Unless the Pentair is a 2 speed pump that's way too much for that pool.
    I don't agree that the 3/4 14 would be big enough for the larger pool upgrade, however. But you could always sell the smaller one on Ebay or Craig's list to someone with an Intex looking to upgrade like yourself.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

just to clarify what FPM said, the 3/4hp pump is plenty big, but the filter's a little puny.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

That's pretty much what I was thinking too based on what I've read, but they won't let me put that pump on a larger filter. They said it would void any warranty because they would no longer be "matched". The Hayward was NOT a 2 speed.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the smaller of the two and upgrade later. Thanks for answering my question!
    18 ft round (Intex style) Summer Escape pool
    1hp Hayward pump and sand filter (size escapes me)
    Intex SWG
    Planning an upgrade to a 24ft as soon as we wear this one out!

5. Back To Top    #5

I doubt that it would void Pentair's or Hayward's warranty to put a small pump on a big filter. You should be able to call either manufacturer and get an definitive answer to that question, then bring it up with the supplier.

I think you should get the right thing the first time, and my gut feeling is that the pool supplier is either ignorant or deceptive.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I can't see how it could possibly void the warranty. I'd really press for the 3/4hp pump and the 24" filter. I'm guessing that the pool store has combinations set up and doesn't want to break a set up. People are funny like that.

I have a Pentair setup. It's a 1.5hp pump on a 24" filter and it didn't void the warranty. Call Hayward and ask them directly then you won't be guessing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it is more that they are sold as a "package". When we were looking for a pool this Spring, NO ONE was willing to mix and match filters & pumps & pools. You had to buy the "packaged" deal. We settled on ours because I could get the 2-speed pump and a large cartridge filter with the pool. Other places selling similar packages would put you into a larger 1-spped pump or a sand filter and were unwilling to substitute other components.

Frankly,I'd be buying a 2-speed pump and filter elsewhere.
    18' round, 52" deep Kamika/Nuance by trevi;
    1HP/2 speed Hayward pump/150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Aqua Trol

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG
    I think it is more that they are sold as a "package". When we were looking for a pool this Spring, NO ONE was willing to mix and match filters & pumps & pools.
    That's why they invented mail-order.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)