Hayward Ultra/Navigator etc.

fofa

Sep 27, 2008
Houston, TX
OK, here's the deal.
I bought a rebuild kit for my Ultra.
Rebuilt my ultra and about the only thing I could see different was the bottom didn't have a removable throat piece (it was all one piece). So i figure no big deal.
Ok, first problem, this rebuilt one would not sit on the bottom., it would touch and float over the bottom.
Turned return jets down, helped a very little bit.
So it must be more buoyant than the original.
Added some lead wheel weights (worked up to, about 12 segments not sure if these are 1/2 or 1 OZ segments) to the front and 4 to the rear. Now it at least is on the bottom and doesn't pull wheelies going downhill.
But it does not "move" like it used to. It will circle the deep end a few times, then seek out the stairs and get stuck there. The old one would at least work it's way out of the stairs.
And I know it is just me, but it seems to be drawn to the stairs like a magnet.

So my question is, would my original gear box be different than maybe this rebuild kit I bought have?
Any way to tell?
I mean the new bottom end, the turbine, gears box and main gear all fit just fine.
I just can't figure out why it went from a really good cleaner (before totally wearing out) to a crappy one with new parts?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Ok, found exploded diagrams on the Hayward web site for both navigators and Ultra's.
Both seem to use the same part number for both gear boxes.

So any clue why it would move fine before rebuilding it as opposed to after.
All the parts "seem" to work.
Could the weight to keep the cleaner on the bottom have been overdone?

My previous pool had a navigator that I repaired a few times. Never had a problem with the gearbox. Usually the bearings on either side of the tubine wheel would fail causing little or no movement across the pool. Along with the other wear items. Have not seen a 'gator with a one piece "throat" assembly. As for not staying on the bottom, I do not recall any buoyant parts in the cleaner. I am sure suction has some help keeping it on the bottom. As long as all the air has been purged from the housing, it should sink and sit on the bottom. There is a preferred suction reading that the Navigators run best at. New ones come with a gauge. May want to try installing the two piece bottom/throat from the old setup and double check the assembly. Depending how old the unit is, some just wear out and rebuilding just won't work. Been there too. Good luck!

fofa said:
OK, here's the deal.
I bought a rebuild kit for my Ultra.
Rebuilt my ultra and about the only thing I could see different was the bottom didn't have a removable throat piece (it was all one piece). So i figure no big deal.
Ok, first problem, this rebuilt one would not sit on the bottom., it would touch and float over the bottom.
Turned return jets down, helped a very little bit.
So it must be more buoyant than the original.
Added some lead wheel weights (worked up to, about 12 segments not sure if these are 1/2 or 1 OZ segments) to the front and 4 to the rear. Now it at least is on the bottom and doesn't pull wheelies going downhill.
But it does not "move" like it used to. It will circle the deep end a few times, then seek out the stairs and get stuck there. The old one would at least work it's way out of the stairs.
And I know it is just me, but it seems to be drawn to the stairs like a magnet.

So my question is, would my original gear box be different than maybe this rebuild kit I bought have?
Any way to tell?
I mean the new bottom end, the turbine, gears box and main gear all fit just fine.
I just can't figure out why it went from a really good cleaner (before totally wearing out) to a crappy one with new parts?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Have you performed the hang test? When you hold the hose and suspend your vac in the water, it should turn to the right for a while, then stop for a few moments, then turn left, then stop, right, etc. if it is not doing this, then the gearbox isn't functioning correctly. I've had this happen twice. The first time I needed more suction (use the flow meter to correct) - my filter was getting dirty and the flow had slowed enough to make the ultra turn right, but never left - which made it seemingly obsessed with the stairs!.
The second time there was Crud jammed inside the gearbox.

I have a similar problem right now. Navigator will turn right, but not left. Seems to be plenty of flow, and I've tried adjusting it with my variable speed pump. I'm about to take it a part to see if I can spot the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.