How long should I run my pump?

OK Mark-

I replaced the pump with a single speed, HE, 3/4 hp, 3450 RPM motor. I also had to replace the impeller so it was about $320 repair. Luckily I did all the work so there was no labor involved.

Here are the readings for the PSI:

All Sweep - 5 PSI

Middle - 11 PSI

Skim & MD - 10 PSI

I also checked the power meter:

With the pump off - .55 kW

With the pump on - 2.17

The pump uses 1.62 kW. Does that mean I will use 8.1 kW per 5 hr day; and 243 KW per month?

Yes, the power consumed is 1.62 kw and 243 kwh per month.

I guess you decided not to get the two speed motor? So did you use the impeller from a WFE-3/24?

If so, then your numbers are looking reasonable. I think the pump failing before was causing some issues and probably wasn't pumping efficiently. But with a smaller pump you seem to be getting higher flow rates. The pump is probably delivering close to 85 GPM.

Yes I did get the WFE-3 impeller and also replaced the master seal while I was in there.

So 85 GPM would turn over the 19,000 gallons in 3.75 hours. I will set the timer for 4 hours and see what that does for me. I can adjust from there.

By the way, my old pump on high for 1.5 hours, and on low for 2.5 hours consumed 25.5 amps. My new pump at 4 hours would consume 24 amps. I don't know how to transfer that to kW; but there would be a small savings in power cost.

Even though you downsized the pump, you may find that you will end up using more energy because you no longer have low speed to fall back on.

First, running your old pump at 1.5 hours on high and only 2.5 hours on low would not have been even 1 turnover a day. You would have needed to run closer to 5 hours on low speed. But I'm not sure how you got to 25 amps or did you mean 25 amp-hours. Label amps are not all that accurate to actual energy usage. But given those schedules, running your new pump at 4 hours per day will likely cost you more money than what your old did.

The WFDS-6 should have used about 2 kw on high and 460 watts on low with a turnover rate of about 3.4 hours on high and 6.8 hours on low. The new motor should use about 1.5 kw.

So your old pump should have used about 4 kwh on your old schedule while the new pump would use 6 kwh on your new schedule. However, had you set up the old pump for a 25%/75% (1 hr/5 hr) split of one turnover, the energy use per day would have sill been about 4 kwh but you would have had a full turnover. The old pump had the advantage of low speed which can save quite a bit in energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.