Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: just bought house with SWG but going away for a month...

1. Back To Top    #1

just bought house with SWG but going away for a month...

We just got a house with a SWG and I don't know what to do about opening the pool up. We have arrived and it is clear but there was not enough salt in it (guessing the previous owner was using chlorine). We have a few more days here until we have to go away for a month and I don't know whether we should try to get the chemistry right now or just cover it over, add some shock and hope for the best. We can't get someone to come over whilst we are away because we have no money left from buying the house (!) and also don't know anyone in the area.

Any ideas? I started to try to get the chlorine levels up but now I'm thinking that its just a poinless task. If we leave it for another month, will it be really hard to clear up? Water was at 18c (64f) yesterday and the we live in the Pyrenees in France.

Thanks
    Elle
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground, Vinyl
    1.5 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: just bought house with SWG but going away for a month...

It may take longer than you have to get your numbers in line - I would bring it up to shock levels a cover it. Do you have access to a good quality test kit?
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

im afraid we don't have a good test kit. just a simple ph and cl tester. Not much use. Just about to order a good one though, although that doesn't help much!!
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground, Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with baudilus, add chlorine and cover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

We can help you clear it when you return.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

in the absence of a decent test kit, and therefore no way of finding out the shock level, would you just leave it as is? It is already going green.

Sorry for my ignorance.
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground, Vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. You'll just be guessing, you won't really make any progress, and you'll likely just waste chlorine at this point.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks so much for the help. Should be fun cleaning it up in a months time! How long does it normally take to get it swimming standards?
    Sand Filter
    Above Ground, Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

It varies, anything from a couple of hours to a week. It depends both on how bad the pool gets while you are gone (it might be just fine) and how diligent you are about the cleanup process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I would also just check that the pH is above 7 and below 8 to avoid any damage to pool surfaces and equipment while you're away.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.