opinions please

Mar 7, 2010
So the concrete should be poured this week. My original design was to follow the angles of my pool with the concrete.
However, after speaking to a landscaper he suggested not to do this. He said you should round off the angles to make the landscaping look better and not have everything so square in the back yard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Dank

Attachments

• pool stright.jpg
    pool stright.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 187
  • pool curve.jpg
    pool curve.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 187
Which you and your spouse like better is the only thing that matters. If you are in an area that winterizes your pool and plan on a safety cover, having at least 3 (min.) to 3.5 feet or more decking on the narrow sides of deck will ensure a full strength installation of the cover with no D rings, landscape stakes, or short springs needed.

Scott

Will you be fencing it? The curved deck may cause issues if you are. I went with straight edges on the concrete and fence, but let the landscaping meander.

If you have a diving board, make the concrete extend a little further on that end so you can walk behind the board easily.

Thanks.

Yes there is already a fence (6 ft). The back yard is pretty big so the pool is basically in the middle of the back yard.

As of now I have measured 780 sq ft concrete. That is basically 4 feet around on 3 sides. (deck side, Left side, back side) the right side is basically 11 by 36 now. With the concrete being curved it might cost just a tad more but not much.

Also, we are doing 7 feet so no diving board. I don't have kids (yet) so the right side of the pool is where we will gather 99% of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the exact same pool shape that I had built at my last house (except my steps were inside the dimensions of the pool), and I had the lines of the concrete following the pool just like your plans. The only difference is that I had my shallow end enlarged, but with the same straight edges. I then placed large planters on the corners furthest from the house and this softened it a bit. I built a corner flower bed off of one of the corners which backed up to the corner of my fence, basically everything I did with the landscape around that pool had a straight edge to it. I loved it... I think it all depends on your taste for your own backyard, because I think either one would look great.

I am in a similar boat to you. We have a pool with straight edges and are deciding if we should have curves for the decking. Not sure if it pertains to you, but if you have grass around the deck, the interior curves can be hard to mow. We have that now and it adds quite a bit of time and effort. If you have any sort of shrubbery around the edges though you won't be able to tell much anyway. But either way it will look great.

I think it depends if your mind thinks like an engineer or an artist. We had similar decisions to make last year when we built our IG pool. I tend to think practical and in straight lines (engineer). My wife has an eye for artistic design. I love the way the curvy decking turned out. So what if the sprinklers hit the decking in some places due to curves…

Once again thanks to everyone that replied. Right now I still do not know what I will do. I think GregH said it all. My original "design" is straight but my wife likes the curves :?

Maybe i'll ask the PB and the Concrete guy.

They are going to do a pressure test today. So we are getting close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.