Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFTestkits.net has a magnetic stirrer

1. Back To Top    #1

TFTestkits.net has a magnetic stirrer

Split off of Portable magnetic stirrer from apollo pools. JasonLion
    Quote Originally Posted by DBergeron
    For those of you that happen upon this thread, keep in mind that TFTestkits.net has a magnetic stirrer too!
    I just discovered that yesterday, myself. I placed the order last night.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Portable Magnetic Stirrer from Apollo Pools

Yes, I ordered one of the stirrers thru TFtestkits.net (a new addition to their lineup). I expect in the mail any day, and can't wait to try it out. I'll report back....(LOVE gadgets...especially ones that don't cost alot!)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I ordered one from Taylor, a week ago, before TFTestkits had it available. Still hasn't arrived.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you cancel the order?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

It's already in transit, no point in canceling now. It'll arrive by the time Dave could've gotten it to me anyhow.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    I ordered one from Taylor, a week ago, before TFTestkits had it available. Still hasn't arrived.
    --paulr
    Me too, and it showed up yesterday with a cracked sample tube I never even opened the packaging.

Hopefully they will send a replacement.

ETA The rep at Taylor was very apologetic and sent two replacement sample tubes.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Yes, I ordered one of the stirrers thru TFtestkits.net (a new addition to their lineup). I expect in the mail any day, and can't wait to try it out. I'll report back....(LOVE gadgets...especially ones that don't cost alot!)
    FPM I am getting ready to place my refill order and was thinking of getting one of these from Dave. Did you get yours yet? Report? Thanks in advance.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

8. Back To Top    #8

AV8TOR , do yourself a favor and order one!

I got mine last week from Dave (TFTestKits.Net) and I love, love, love it!

The CH test was a breeze

I have been reading about the magnetic stirrers for a long time and had one on my wish list!

Thanks, Dave
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: TFTestkits.net has a magnetic stirrer

Here is the link to the product.

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

I guess from looking at it, you put your sample in your tube and place the tube on the circle part. You use the buttoms to stir it. Is there any chance of the container falling over while testing and are you able to use the test cylinders from the tf kit on this stirrer? I am talking about the two round ones that are in the kit. Not the one for CYA.

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool

I guess from looking at it, you put your sample in your tube and place the tube on the circle part. You use the buttoms to stir it. Is there any chance of the container falling over while testing and are you able to use the test cylinders from the tf kit on this stirrer? I am talking about the two round ones that are in the kit. Not the one for CYA.

Thanks.
    It COULD get knocked over, but it's not going to fall. The cylinder sits in a recess in the stirrer. One of the buttons turns the stirrer on and off, and the other turns the stirrer and the lights on and off. I believe the cylinders from the kit will work, but the cylinder that comes with the stirrer is marked so you can use it for all the tests that use the larger vial.

I like mine very well. It's not a necessity item, but the TA, FAS_DPD Chlorine and CH tests are pretty amazing when the color change happens almost as soon as the drop hits the water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool

Thanks.
    It COULD get knocked over, but it's not going to fall. The cylinder sits in a recess in the stirrer. One of the buttons turns the stirrer on and off, and the other turns the stirrer and the lights on and off. I believe the cylinders from the kit will work, but the cylinder that comes with the stirrer is marked so you can use it for all the tests that use the larger vial.

I like mine very well. It's not a necessity item, but the TA, FAS_DPD Chlorine and CH tests are pretty amazing when the color change happens almost as soon as the drop hits the water.
    The only reason I ask, is because in the TF100 kit there are the two cylinders, and one says for chlorine only and then the other one. I was not sure if you could do all the test in the same one, after rinsing it out with your test sample water. I have two test bottles from leslies and I fill those up and use those as my test sample. I have one I use to rinse out my test cylinders and one I use to run my test. So the button that turns on the stirrer to spin, it stays on until you hit it again? Also when you are doing your test, I assume you just leave it on until you get the color change?

12. Back To Top    #12

I tried using the tubes that came with my TF100 in the stirrer, and determined that they don't work nearly as well as the tube that comes with the stirrer. The tube that comes with the stirrer has a convex bottom, so that the stir stick doesn't sit flat on the bottom, and thus spins more easily. The other tubes have flat bottoms creating greater drag between the stir stick and the tube. The result (for my testing) was that the tubes that didn't come with the stirrer would spin on the stirrer. It would still work, because the friction between the stirrer base and the tube was greater than the friction between the stir stick and the tube. It was amusing to watch the entire tube spinning on the base, but I wouldn't do it that way routinely.

As far as using the same tube for everything, yes, that's fine. Just rinse the tube after each test.

Edit to add:
    The stirrer has a timer timer built into it. 30 seconds, if memory serves. There have been a couple of occasions where I took long enough to perform a test that I had to turn in on again. It doesn't hurt anything to have it stop halfway through testing.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

13. Back To Top    #13

I am going to have to get me one. The hardest part of the test for me is being able to mix up the sample after I put in the drops. This will work great as almost all the test are dropped based.

14. Back To Top    #14

The FAS-DPD test will cause the tube to become cloudy eventually. The TF-100 comes with two tubes so any clouding of the chlorine test tube does not affect your ability to do the TA and CH tests. You can do all of the tests with one tube, you will just need to replace it a little sooner than you otherwise would. The tube will still last probably two years doing all the tests in one tube with typical residential use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The FAS-DPD test will cause the tube to become cloudy eventually. The TF-100 comes with two tubes so any clouding of the chlorine test tube does not affect your ability to do the TA and CH tests. You can do all of the tests with one tube, you will just need to replace it a little sooner than you otherwise would. The tube will still last probably two years doing all the tests in one tube with typical residential use.
    I was looking around on the site and did not notice a place to buy an additional tube designed for this. Do you know if there is a tube on the site that you could buy so I could have two of them?

Thanks.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

The result (for my testing) was that the tubes that didn't come with the stirrer would spin on the stirrer. It would still work, because the friction between the stirrer base and the tube was greater than the friction between the stir stick and the tube. It was amusing to watch the entire tube spinning on the base, but I wouldn't do it that way routinely.
    Interesting. My experience was that I tried both types of tubes and they worked equally well. In both cases, if I remember, the bottome of the tube was a little wet.....perhaps causing them to stick better (or maybe worse?, I dunno)

If anyone else has the TF-100 tube spinning, please let me know. I would like to test it some more to see what causes that.

This evening, I think I'll get an adult beverage or two and see if I can make the tube spin. I am easily entertained and might like it better!! (I'm kidding! I really would like to hear from others if the TF-100 tube spins)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

The tube that comes with the SpeedStir is a Taylor #9198 sample tube. Taylor sells them, and you should be able to find them several other places. If there is enough demand, TF Test Kits will probably carry them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

I played with the chlorine tube from my test kit last night, just for fun. (I didn't bother to try both tubes from the kit, since they appear to be the same.) When the tube is completely dry on the outside, it would wiggle a bit. I didn't move a whole lot, but it did make one complete revolution in about 30 seconds.

I then dipped the bottom of the tube in my test water and put that on the stirrer without shaking it off or drying it. This created a vacuum under the tube and held the tube rock-steady on the stirrer. (It held it even more steadily than the stock tube normally is.)

I then broke the vacuum, shook some of the excess water off of the tube, and put it back (there were still a few drops of water standing in the indentation of the stirrer.) This time the tube spun relatively rapidly, about one revolution every 5 seconds.

So, in my first experience trying these tubes, I must have gotten the outside of the tube wet, or gotten a bit of water on the stirrer.

I also noticed that the stir bar will occasionally hang on the bottom of the tube. Just at a guess, I'd say that it hangs about once every 5-10 seconds for about 1/8-1/4 second. It still stirs well, just has a bit more drag than it does in the stock tube.
    Central Missouri

19. Back To Top    #19

Ordered mine this morning.

20. Back To Top    #20

I just used mine for the first time yesterday. I'm helping a friend clear their green pool and we used it for the calcium test. Piece of cake with that little gem!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast