pump continuously or stick with program?

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Lowering TA with borates already in

I was going to post a new thread on a similar topic, but this leads into it.
Split off. Always ask questions in your own topic, not in some existing topic. Thanks JasonLion

My pH drifts from 7.6-7.8 over a weeks time. I have read where others don't have to adjust pH for weeks at a time. My TA is 90 and I have 50ppm borates. I would like to lower TA to 80 and see if the drift slows down. Am I on the right track?

Re: Lowering TA

I lowered my pH to 7.0 today (I didn't mean to go that low) to bring TA from 90 down to 70. Do I have to let the pump run continuously until the pH gets to ~7.5, or can I just stay on my 4 hr run time? I have the waterfalls going, 2 small ones, and my pool gets great circulation from the 1.5hp pump.

I lowered my pH to 7.0 today to bring TA from 90 down to 70. Do I have to let the pump run continuously until the pH gets to ~7.5, or can I just stay on my 4 hr run time? I have the waterfalls going, 2 small ones, and my pool gets great circulation from the 1.5hp pump.

You can stick with the program if there is some compelling reason to - 7.0 is low and very close to the danger zone. Aeration is slow, so I suggest testing your pH right before you begin pumping, then test after 4 hours to see what the rise is, then you can expect it to rise at that rate. If that's too slow, run the pump 24/7.

Re: Lowering TA with borates already in

As long as the PH is at least 7.0 there is no need to run the pump extra or add chemicals. However, you probably won't want to swim until the PH goes up to 7.2 or higher. If you aren't in any hurry, just keep to the normal schedule and the PH will go up eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.