Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Wiring 2 speed motor help

Wiring 2 speed motor help

Hope I can get a little help wiring up the new 2 speed motor I just recieved. WFE-8 motor is being switched out for a B2984 AO smith 2 speed 2hp motor. 240V wiring.

I have an aqualogic PS4 controller. I know these controllers have the capability of controlling a 2 speed motor. I just need to figure out how to wire it up. If that proves to complicated for a novice I can bring in a pool electrician, hopefully not necessary. For now I can live with running the motor on low speed for pool filtering and manually switching to high speed for spa use I guess by putting in a switch if needed.

here is how the wiring looks for the current set up and the terminals for the new pump on the right.

[attachment=1:246iajpp]WiringDiagram.jpg[/attachment:246iajpp]

If I wanted to just treat this pump as single speed using the low speed how would I wire it up.

Thanks for the help

EDIT/UPDATE

Found this Diagram in manual

[attachment=0:246iajpp]Aqualogic diagram.doc[/attachment:246iajpp]

and was wondering how I would "branch" out the wires leading too and from the terminals as shown in diagram by the solid dot where wires cross. Also I dont have free AUX relay at this time as they are taken up by lighting and water feature but could switch them out to operate manually later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    18000 gallon IGP rectangular-ish with attatched spa, pebble tec, pentair 4000 DE filter, whisperflo 2hp dual speed pump, 3/4 hp whisperflo for water feature, aqualogic ps4 controller with SWCG, 48" Guardian Premier pool fence with self closing gate

Re: Wiring 2 speed motor help

There should be a diagram on the motor showing which terminal is high, low, and common. G is green/ground. I could guess, but that could be wrong. There is almost always a wiring diagram right on the motor.

You will need to use the AUX relay to control the pump if you want the controller to be able to change speed. The alternative way to wire it is to add an external switch which manually changes speed, while allowing the AquaLogic to turn it on and off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I bookmarked the following post on how to wire a two speed pump. It may not directly answer your question, but perhaps it will help a bit:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/dual-...on-t14547.html

Good luck!
    Gordon
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

The solid black dot means that the wires are tied together. Usually the way it's done is that one wire is tied to a terminal and a jumper wire is run from that terminal to the next terminal.

To run the pump manually on high and let the aqualogic run it on low you need a double pole double throw center off switch. Here's a wiring diagram of how to do that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The Aqualogic does have the ability to control a two speed pump but it requires the use of another relay if you have one available. Once set up, you can then setup the controller logic to support it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

Thanks for the quick replies. Immense help with installing pump yesterday. So far I have it wired up for low speed only. Plan on installing the switch later this week when I have time. I changed out all of the seals for new ones. Initial start up was a little lack luster as far as the pump was concerned with pump basket half full of air the whole time. Took it apart again and found one of the seals not sitting right, reinstalled it and she's been working like a charm on low speed since.

The only thing I can hear now when the pump is on compared to the old single speed 2hp motor is the money I'm saving.

Thanks again for the guidance. Will be back when I hook up this switch so I can take advantage of High speed for the spa jets.

Richard
    18000 gallon IGP rectangular-ish with attatched spa, pebble tec, pentair 4000 DE filter, whisperflo 2hp dual speed pump, 3/4 hp whisperflo for water feature, aqualogic ps4 controller with SWCG, 48" Guardian Premier pool fence with self closing gate