Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dose anyone use intex swg

1. Back To Top    #1

Dose anyone use intex swg

I have a new agp this year and I have read all of the benefits of swg. I was wondering how many people use the intex swg, as I am tring to cut cost. If they could point out any pros or cons this would be great because i am new to all of this? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Daniel
    24' 52" Agp 13500 gallons, PoolSchool, BBB, eco/kleer pump/filter 2.0 hp 70 gpm
    two 2'20' solar panels, 8110 intex swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dose anyone use intex swg

Here ya go. intex-swg-t1090.html
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

just hooked up two intex swgs on my inground one would probably have done it but using both should help onrun times, really like not having to check chlorinator all the time just set and forget.
    15k, ig ,vinyle ,kitbuilt, 1hp hayward, 24 hayward sand, 2-intex swg`s, manual cleaning, leslies k2006 test kit,14x28, fiberglass steps

4. Back To Top    #4

Just bought a used one, but have not hooked it up. It's still too cold around here.
    Hopefully in a week or two, we will open up, get the water balanced, add salt and more CYA and hook up the SWG. Can't wait to get away from the bleach bottles.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

yup...i used one last year, (2009 model) all season no problems...takes a few plumbing supplies to get hooked up but other than that it was much better than lugging bleach...2-3 hrs a day run time is all it needed on a 13.5K gal pool.

Cons...bare bones SWG. If you lose power you will need to reset the timer.
    Pros...bare bones/no frills and gets the job done.

My advice if you pick one up, get the 2009 model as the 2010 model appears to now come with an Ion/copper/silver type of plugin that is just bad news IMHO
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Is this the 2009 intex swg you are talking about
    http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56601E-Delu ... 038&sr=8-1

7. Back To Top    #7

That looks like it, and not a bad price, either! Make sure that the model you get is what you need/want. Intex made/makes several different models, with different chlorine outputs ( some are pump combos, too.) The 8110 does 24g/hr, the 8220G does 18g/hr, the CS8110 only does 12g/hr and adds copper ions (not something I want in my pool.) The 6110 is probably not around any more, it has a tank on it where a chlorine "concentrate" is made/stored.
    The 8110 is what you probably want. All of the manuals are available online here -
    http://www.intexcorp.com.hk/proifv/p...id=2&lid=12125
    Good Luck and Best Wishes!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

8. Back To Top    #8

here is the one I bought/same seller too....worked fine for me...be weary of 7th ave on amazon....it's an electronics boutique store and might not be a fresh model

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEX-56601-...item33545c5c40
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Last year was my 1st year with a pool since some point in the 80's !

I bought the Intex 8110 - / 2009 Model and I had my filter come on from appx 11pm until 6am with the SWG coming on around midnight and runs until about 4am. (It's not really an exact thing with these SWG's but it runs about 4 - 4.5 hours on average).

My filter then comes on again during the day for 2-3 hours for a little circulation (but not the SWG).

I was actually AMAZED at how easy it was to maintain the pool's level with the SWG. Thinking "this thing" would never "keep up", I threw a floater in there just for some cheap insurance and after getting my TF-100 kit I noticed that my chlorine level was MORE THE ENOUGH so toward the 3rd week with the SWG, the floater was set on it's lowest setting (1 puck lasted me appx 1 full week or so). I don't even need it in there but I thought (In my warped mind ) , that if for some reason the power goes out, the SWG misses a night, at least I have a little chlorine in there. (I know It's silly).

I'm still tweaking everything but I love the SWG. I keep some bleach on hand and some Tri-chlor pucks for emergencies etc. but I doubt I'll need them other than for start up. Peeking under the cover last week, everything is crystal clear. We've had a "crazy warm" April so I'm getting nervous that I should do a quick test / give it a "quick shot" and get ready to open it up.

You'll love the SWG.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I ordered the intex swg today. I did end up ordering it from 7 ave on amazon so I hope I don't have any problems. I Called and talked to them directly to make sure it was the 2009 model. I can't wait to get it so I don't have to keep dumping bleach in every night . I am also going to order two 2"20" solar panels that just roll out. I decided to go with them instead of having to mess with taking a solar cover off and on all the time. Thanks for all the help

11. Back To Top    #11

Installed an Intex last year with the new liner. Did a borax dose and ph adjustment first, then all summer just added 1/2 gal of MA every other week and vacuumed once a week.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

12. Back To Top    #12

How long will the Intex last? On most other SWG's, isn't there some element that has to be replaced every year or two?
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm going on my third year with mine. The cell eventually has to be replaced on all SWCG's. With an Intex, it's probably just as cost effective to replace the entire unit, and not just the cell.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi Everyone
    I have a intex swg this will be my 3rd year I believe the manual says 2006. I have enjoyed the ease of use, cost savings and the feel of the water. I have not had too many problems with it except for soaking the plates and keeping the flow clear. I had read many horror stories about these earlier models. Have these issues been cleared up with the newer modes? I set it up this week and now I am getting a low flow. I think it may be time to replace the unit. I see others pushing the 2009 unit over the 2010. Can you be more specific as too your reasons why? Are the newer models more reliable?
    Fathom G.
    30' Round, Sand Filter, Above Ground

15. Back To Top    #15

The reason for getting the '09 model has to do with the copper electrodes in the '10 model that the '09 doesn't have. You don't want copper in your pool so rather than just disconnecting the electrodes and having to leave them in the flow stream it's better to get last years model that doesn't have them at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Also, the chlorine production has dropped, according to the manuals. Could be from smaller/fewer cell plates?
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

17. Back To Top    #17

Well I just installed my 2009 8110 intex swg and two 2'20' solar panels on friday and I couldn't be happier. I am so glad I don't have to keep dumping bleach in or using pucks any more. Imho everyone should invest in a swcg and help put the pools stores out of business

Daniel

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by New2Me
    Also, the chlorine production has dropped, according to the manuals. Could be from smaller/fewer cell plates?
    LOL they probably had too many complaints of Intex pools with FC "off the scale" and no one understood why....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    I'm going on my third year with mine. The cell eventually has to be replaced on all SWCG's. With an Intex, it's probably just as cost effective to replace the entire unit, and not just the cell.
    Better stock up on the 2009 models while you can still find them...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

20. Back To Top    #20

I got two on clearance last fall at walmart was 199, now 149.99 and it was in the clearance isle that went to 75% off!! I bought the last 2 for approx $38 each!! Gotta watch those clearance isles close! lots of deals! I put one on my 350 gal. hot tub and oHH baby does that thing turn out the clorine, I only need to run it 10 mins. every other day at this point. my plan is to put 2 in paralel on my 20,000 gal. inground pool. Acording to the instructions it supports up to a 14,000 gallon pool so two should work for me.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast