Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long between testing at start up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Southeast Missouri

How long between testing at start up?

Just got the cover off and replaced about a third of the pool volume overnight. Got the filter running with new sand. How long should I let the water circulate before taking my first set of tests and then how long in between adding whatever is needed before the next tests? I am thinking one turn over but do not know how long that is? Is a couple hours sufficient? Water is crystal clear with some dirt/sand on the bottom.
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: How long between testing at start up?

Hi, Dave,

Yeah, an hour is probably all you need to stir things up.....two hours is gracious plenty.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How long between testing at start up?

The very first time you open in the spring, I would run the pump for several hours before testing. The water can form layers with different temperature and salinity over the winter, and if that happens, it can sometimes take a little extra time to mix everything back up. After that, one hour is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School