Pool Leaking

Apr 12, 2010
East KY
Re: Green Pool+New Owner=BAD

Now I've got another problem. Went out this A.M. to start with the pool and noticed I had lost about 3-4 inches of water overnight. First time this has happened. So I started looking around the edges of pool for water and found the spot where it's leaking. Apparently I made a hole in my liner when I was brushing ( using nylon brush ). thing is, I don't know if it's so fragile that the brush did it or is there something in the bottom of the pool that I hit or drug along the bottom unknowingly and caused the hole. So I now I don't know which way to go.

Should I keep shocking the water or am I going to have to drain and replace liner? Any idea of the cost? it's not something I would be comfortable with doing myself.

Can I Patch the liner of an AB pool?

I also posted this in my other thread "Green Pool + New Owner = Bad", but thought that I may get more attention to this immediate issue with a new topic. If this is not allowed I apologize upfront.
Posts merged. Please only ask a question in one place. Either place will do in this case, just don't duplicate. Thanks JasonLion

Now I've got another problem. Went out this A.M. to start with the pool and noticed I had lost about 3-4 inches of water overnight. First time this has happened. So I started looking around the edges of pool for water and found the spot where it's leaking. Apparently I made a hole in my liner when I was brushing ( using nylon brush ). thing is, I don't know if it's so fragile that the brush did it or is there something in the bottom of the pool that I hit or drug along the bottom unknowingly and caused the hole. So I now I don't know which way to go.

Should I keep shocking the water or am I going to have to drain and replace liner? Any idea of the cost? it's not something I would be comfortable with doing myself.

Can I Patch the liner of an AB pool?

Yes, you can patch the liner. If the hole is 1" or smaller it will be very easy. Larger holes/tears can be a bit trickier, but still solvable up to about 4" or 5". You will need a liner patch kit. For larger holes/tears you will also need a larger than usual piece of patch material. The patch kits come with directions and can be applied underwater.

Thanks Jason, So I will keep up the shocking and refilling the pool as needed to keep the filter running. May not be able to keep the filter going during the week while i'm at work, but will do what I can.

Sorry for the double post.

I'm adding so much fill water to the pool It's getting very expensive. I went to pool store to pick up a patch kit, they suggested a floc treatment so It would settle things out of the water so I could see the bottom of the pool. Anybody here think this is a good idea?

I also checked on price of replacing the liner. $500 for liner + labor. Is this the way to go. Would then know what I have and would not worry about it so much, also would just have the expense of filling the pool and not repeated expense constantly adding water until I can patch it.

Well, I decided to go ahead with the liner replacement. It's scheduled for next Thursday. They are updating my plumbing with some additional shut off valves (none currently) to help with maintenance & winterizing also adding a second return for a auto sweeper that we'll probley get next year.

I know this could have been patched but sometimes you just need peace of mind.

new liner is in and looking pretty good. I've got about 2" of water in and filling as I type.

I'm going to add some CYA when I get the pump going. I'm having it plumbed with PVC tomorrow. What else should I be doing with the water chemistry?

Fill Water

FC 2
CC .5
ph 7.6
TA 100
CH 200
CYA < 20 Can still see black dot clearly at waist level

Got PVC Plumbed up, water is about 10" below skimmer. Just waiting for it to fill up and get the pump going. I took some before & after pics, some are foggy, It's realy humid here today.

Before
2qbt5bs.jpg

14iicjr.jpg

After
5be32a.jpg

9i5vth.jpg

jtquwz.jpg

vil9bq.jpg

Any suggestions on the fill water chemistry?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.