Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Green Pool+New Owner=BAD

Now I've got another problem. Went out this A.M. to start with the pool and noticed I had lost about 3-4 inches of water overnight. First time this has happened. So I started looking around the edges of pool for water and found the spot where it's leaking. Apparently I made a hole in my liner when I was brushing ( using nylon brush ). thing is, I don't know if it's so fragile that the brush did it or is there something in the bottom of the pool that I hit or drug along the bottom unknowingly and caused the hole. So I now I don't know which way to go.

Should I keep shocking the water or am I going to have to drain and replace liner? Any idea of the cost? it's not something I would be comfortable with doing myself.

Can I Patch the liner of an AB pool?
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Liquidator 3/8" upgrade, Hayward Needle Valve
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Pool Leaking

I also posted this in my other thread "Green Pool + New Owner = Bad", but thought that I may get more attention to this immediate issue with a new topic. If this is not allowed I apologize upfront.
    Posts merged. Please only ask a question in one place. Either place will do in this case, just don't duplicate. Thanks JasonLion

Now I've got another problem. Went out this A.M. to start with the pool and noticed I had lost about 3-4 inches of water overnight. First time this has happened. So I started looking around the edges of pool for water and found the spot where it's leaking. Apparently I made a hole in my liner when I was brushing ( using nylon brush ). thing is, I don't know if it's so fragile that the brush did it or is there something in the bottom of the pool that I hit or drug along the bottom unknowingly and caused the hole. So I now I don't know which way to go.

Should I keep shocking the water or am I going to have to drain and replace liner? Any idea of the cost? it's not something I would be comfortable with doing myself.

Can I Patch the liner of an AB pool?
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Leaking

Yes, you can patch the liner. If the hole is 1" or smaller it will be very easy. Larger holes/tears can be a bit trickier, but still solvable up to about 4" or 5". You will need a liner patch kit. For larger holes/tears you will also need a larger than usual piece of patch material. The patch kits come with directions and can be applied underwater.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason, So I will keep up the shocking and refilling the pool as needed to keep the filter running. May not be able to keep the filter going during the week while i'm at work, but will do what I can.

Sorry for the double post.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm adding so much fill water to the pool It's getting very expensive. I went to pool store to pick up a patch kit, they suggested a floc treatment so It would settle things out of the water so I could see the bottom of the pool. Anybody here think this is a good idea?

I also checked on price of replacing the liner. $500 for liner + labor. Is this the way to go. Would then know what I have and would not worry about it so much, also would just have the expense of filling the pool and not repeated expense constantly adding water until I can patch it.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

No to the floc.

Can you post a picture of the leak so the experts can advise if a patch is recommended or not.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I decided to go ahead with the liner replacement. It's scheduled for next Thursday. They are updating my plumbing with some additional shut off valves (none currently) to help with maintenance & winterizing also adding a second return for a auto sweeper that we'll probley get next year.

I know this could have been patched but sometimes you just need peace of mind.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

new liner is in and looking pretty good. I've got about 2" of water in and filling as I type.

I'm going to add some CYA when I get the pump going. I'm having it plumbed with PVC tomorrow. What else should I be doing with the water chemistry?

Fill Water

FC 2
    CC .5
    ph 7.6
    TA 100
    CH 200
    CYA < 20 Can still see black dot clearly at waist level
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Got PVC Plumbed up, water is about 10" below skimmer. Just waiting for it to fill up and get the pump going. I took some before & after pics, some are foggy, It's realy humid here today.

Before

After

Any suggestions on the fill water chemistry?
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

After running pump for a few hours. Here are the numbers.

FC .5
    CC 0
    ph 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 200
    CYA < 20

I added some 6% to get FC up to apx 5.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks good, up your CYA a bit and adjust the FC accordingly; monitor the FC and make sure it's holding and you should be good to go.
    I Love the new liner....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

Did the overnight test. Here are the results

Night Before:

FC 7
    CC 0

Next AM:

FC 6
    CC 0

Looks like I'm good with the organics being dead. I'll work on upping the CYA slowly and maintaining the FC levels. Thanks TFP
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Since you lost one ppm FC, if it were me I'd do another test tonight just to be sure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit