Bearing replacement in pump motor

jaybee

May 19, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I know not everyone is of a mind to rebuild a pump motor, but I can do the work and the bearings were $17 at the local bearing house. That makes it pretty affordable in my book. It's a Sta-Rite above ground filter with AO Smith #48 frame, 1hp motor. I do have a question, however. I've put a puller on the end of the motor shaft to push the bearing out of the end plate and put as much pressure on it as I feel comfortable with but no luck. Peering between the fan and end plate there appears to be a bearing retainer that's fastened with a small screw through the end plate. Is that the case, and if so how do you get the thing back in place once it's removed? Oh, I'm also soaking the shaft overnight with some penetrant to make sure it isn't just stuck.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what that is and it's hard to get a good enough view. Hopefully after a night soaking in penetrant the bearing will come off the shaft and I can get a better look. As an alternative I might carefully apply a little heat round the outside of the bearing. Carefully because the the fan is plastic and the end cover is aluminum. Patience will get it to move better than brute force. Last night I applied enough pressure with a 3 jaw puller to flex the cover, any more and I fear breaking it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.