Lowering TA

Jul 20, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
I'm going insane here. I've followed directions to lower the TA of the pool. The PH has gone down, and my TA went from 110 to 90 the first round. Now I'm waiting for the PH to go back up to 7.6 and its taking forever. Is this normal ? Did I do something wrong. I went to get rid of using the pucks or any powder for my pool because I had a huge CYA and CH problem. I want to use bleach only. With that in mind, I want to get the TA around 70-80 ppm. Does it usually take hours to get the PH back up. I have my Waterfall and aerator on.

It can sometimes take days and/or weeks depending how much aeration you have. How far did you lower the PH?

Also, what is the objective in lowering TA? Normally it is so PH does not rise so quickly. If that is your objective, you may already be there.

tedinelkgrove said:
I was going to post a new thread on a similar topic, but this leads into it. My pH drifts from 7.6-7.8 over a weeks time. I have read where others don't have to adjust pH for weeks at a time. My TA is 90 and I have 50ppm borates. I would like to lower TA to 80 and see if the drift slows down. Am I on the right track?

Yes, I would even suggest lowering the TA to 70. Every time your PH hits 7.8, target 7.2 with the Pool Calculator and add the recommended amount of acid. The TA will eventually drop down into range. Or, you can follow the steps in the "how to" article in Pool School, to speed this process up, if you like.

Mine's still at 200+...the whole reason I'm here at TFP is because my pool store told me to add PH Up and PH Down in the same breathe cuz my ph was low but my TA was off the charts high and I was like, uh, WHAT? Four days later the pool store guy finally admitted he had no idea what to do about that problem, but it wasn't a big deal and I shouldn't worry my pretty little head about it... :hammer:

Aeration raises PH au naturel after you add acid to lower TA...but all bets are off with that if you are shocking, right pool mom?

CHEAP, easy aeration...I'm so proud of myself: Take your submersible pump you use to pump off the pool cover in winter , which a garden hose can attach to...put it in the pool water, plug it in, and attach the hose. Then put a standard garden sprinkler on the end. Aim the sprinkler at the surface and make lotsa bubbles....I call it my 'country' fountain cuz my daughter has already asked if we could have the 'pretty fountain' going all the time.....

mas985 said:
It can sometimes take days and/or weeks depending how much aeration you have. How far did you lower the PH?

Also, what is the objective in lowering TA? Normally it is so PH does not rise so quickly. If that is your objective, you may already be there.

I'm trying to add Borax to the pool and following steps to lowering TA to put it in. I went down to 7.0 and the TA went down to 90. I want the TA to be lower to the suggested 70-80 range. This process is at the 7th hour mark. I didn't realize it would take this long. Right now its round 7.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gsmiley said:
I'm trying to add Borax to the pool and following steps to lowering TA to put it in. I went down to 7.0 and the TA went down to 90. I want the TA to be lower to the suggested 70-80 range. This process is at the 7th hour mark. I didn't realize it would take this long. Right now its round 7.2

If you will be adding borates via borax, I would ignore the TA until the process is over. You will be changing TA throughout this process anyway so it may not be all that productive to worry about it at this point. Afterwards, you may need to lower TA a bit but you may also find that PH is stable so TA may not need to be lowered.

Well with great patience, I got the PH back up to 7.6. ran the aerator all day. The TA ended up at 80 and added borax and acid to the pool. Now just waiting for the 48 hour mark to check if I did everything right :) The water already looks different (crystal clear), can't wait for the final result. When are we able to go in the pool again ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.