Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water

My pool is clear until I vacuum to filter. Is there something wrong with my filter? Thanks
    20k inground fiberglass
    sand filter
    k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water

This may sound really dumb, but last year (my first full season with a pool) I started running into the same problem. The water would be clear, but the bottom dirty, until I vacuumed. Then the bottom would be clean, but the water would be clear. A few hours later, the bottom was dirty, and the water was clear again. I thought I had a filter problem, and replaced all the sand in my filter. (Sound about right?)

Turns out, I was just vacuuming too fast. I was really just stirring things up with the vacuum, not really sucking much out. This year, I've been vacuuming REALLY slowly. Much better.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

3. Back To Top    #3

Something I have noticed when I vacuum or clean the pool is I stir up some dirt that maybe the vac does not get. So therefore it makes my pool look cloudy. After a few hours oe even less after everything has been sucked into the filter or settled again it goes back clear. This is just something I noticed and my filter is working fine.

Hope this helps some and I am sure someone will be along with better advice.

Edit: The person and I both were typing at the same time. It seems we have said pretty much the same thing.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

That's the very reason I like the slower moving Aquabot over its faster moving cousins and big brothers. It moves very slowly compared to the others and doesn't stir up the stuff on the bottom, which is my main reason for using it.

When I was clearing up huge amounts of fine particles, most from AA treatment in fall and subsequent use of descaling sequestrates over winter I was advised by our gurus and my "Favorite Most Trusted Pool Guy" to not do anything to disturb the bottom until the water had cleared. Even with a huge new 80 sq ft filter, running pump pretty slowly, it took two weeks and a couple of backwashings to totally clear out. I then manual vacuumed very, very slowly, as advised, and it has remained crystal clear (relatively speaking as we have particles carried in and blown in < 1 micron which is smaller than the best DE filter can totally clear out).

I thought I had mastered the technique of slow vacuuming, over the years, but this time I went at a snails pace and it really paid off. Actually it was quite relaxing.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Meber,

Put a nylon stocking over your return and see if particles are blowing thru the filter into the pool.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

How long has it been since you've backwashed? What is your current psi and what is it normally?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

My current psi is 16, have never seen it above 19.
    20k inground fiberglass
    sand filter
    k-2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How long has it been since you've backwashed?
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

What is your clean filter PSI?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a clear vacuum head that allows me to see how effectively I'm vacuuming, so a get the speed just about right. You may want to see if your local pool store has any, they should run around $20-30.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

It has been a couple of weeks since I last back washed. My normal (clean) psi is 16.
    20k inground fiberglass
    sand filter
    k-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Since your psi is running at a normal 16, it is likely there is nothing wrong with the filter but that the vacuum is stirring up dirt on the bottom and clouding the water.

As mentioned above vacuuming slowly will help but you simply may have to live with it a few more times as you slowly but surely remove the dirt through filtration and vacuuming.
    Dave S.