May need to borrow previous posters handgranades

Sep 25, 2009
I am having significant problems maintaining pressure in the pump and circulation system. The water level seems okay..there are no leaks in/around the pump housing. I've resealed the pump basket lid and yet I still get air into the system. It pumps fine and this about every few minutes the waterfall and all jets will quite working...then it immediately picks back up again. What else can I check or do...?

Check your skimmer, make sure it isn't making noise or there isn't a vortex in the water.

Check any unions or valves before the pump basket and check the drain plug in the pump basket.

Any drips of water when you shut the pump off?

A vortex is what you see when a sink drains. The issue here is that there is usually air in the center of the vortex. The air gets drawn down into the pipe and heads to the pump, where it can cause problems. If this is happening, raising the water level half an inch or an inch will generally take care of it.

I was watching the skimmer yesterday (apparently that's what us pool people are suppose to do)... anyway... the water level stays high and consistent...then you do get the vortex type movement and all the water drains, the waterflow stops and the basket refills... then it runs again for a while.

GrantsPool said:
I was watching the skimmer yesterday (apparently that's what us pool people are suppose to do)... anyway... the water level stays high and consistent...then you do get the vortex type movement and all the water drains, the waterflow stops and the basket refills... then it runs again for a while.
Is the flapper on the skimmer sticking?

Something's not keeping the skimmer full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GrantsPool said:
..then you do get the vortex type movement and all the water drains, the waterflow stops and the basket refills... then it runs again for a while.

Looks like you found your problem. Intermittant loss of pump head like that tends to be from the skimmer. Other types of suction side air leaks, like pump basket cover, couplings, etc. tend to let a continuous stream of air into the pump.

GrantsPool said:
flapper seems fine... casual observation suggests it is at the pump

Put your hand in there and hold the weir down flat and see if it keeps doing it. No matter what your pump is doing, it shouldn't be able to empty the skimmer. Almost has to be the weir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.