Economy Improving? Contractors not showing for estimates

KurtG

Feb 26, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I'm guessing that the economy must be on the turnaround as far as home construction goes. I'm having trouble getting estimates (having contractors show up) for electrical work that involves running service to our pool pump (~$1500).

Any others having similar problems in your area?

I'm about to remodel my kitchen, and I'm told by those I've been dealing with that they are very busy, folks are 'fixing up' instead of moving out, and prices on cabinetry and granite are at 10 year lows. Maybe this is carrying over to electricians in general? (got one coming over this afternoon :)

I've been having the same problem with getting our pool fence installed. I've been through 3 companies so far that have scheduled and rescheduled atleast once apiece to install this fence and another that is supposed to come out today after being re-scheduled now for the third time. Apparently, making $3000+ on a day's work isn't high on their priority list!

Actually, their is no excuse for not showing up (or calling) to change or to cancel an appointment. If they don't have the courtesy to make contact, then I would never consider them! Just my two cents!

denisbaldwin said:
I've been having the same problem with getting our pool fence installed. I've been through 3 companies so far that have scheduled and rescheduled atleast once apiece to install this fence and another that is supposed to come out today after being re-scheduled now for the third time. Apparently, making $3000+ on a day's work isn't high on their priority list!

Several years ago I had similar problems with independents, for a couple of months, for about 60 ft new section of wood fencing/steel post that ranged in height from 6 to 10 ft (so it would be level across top). To get the height we had to go to pine instead of cedar. I finally went through Home Depot and the job was started and finished in no time. Excellent quality materials and workmanship. They even did something wrong and had to tear out some of the work and several posts with no argument or complaints. This was an independent contractor who did the job but "driven" by Home Depot's customer satisfaction factor.

gg=alice

It's hard to get anybody to call you back. Last year, whenconstruction was dead slow, I called 4 blueboard plaster guys to do about 1000 sq ft in my basement. Only one guy called me back. He got the job. One day job, 3 guys, 13 ben's! Easy money, but only one call back.

Called a guy out for an estimate on a fence. Bout a 5 k job. Never showed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I was seeking bids for my fence I think I got about 5 call backs, only two showed up for estimate, but neither got back with me on estimate. Subcontractor from HD called immediately, was out here within a day or so, and by end of week job was finished. I don't know if they were cheaper or more expensive than independents would have been. At least I didn't waste any more time making calls, waiting for call backs, or waiting for no shows. Even though I work from home most of the time the distraction of anticipating someone to show up, during a time block, is too distracting for me to get any work done. And they frequently don't come during the "time block" even if they do show up.

Although many people have bad experiences with AHS I have always been able to count on the workers to show up, usually during the agreed upon time block. That's "priceless" to me.

gg=alice

I'm a contractor (Custom Garage Makeovers) and I have been 3-5 weeks out on all projects for about 5 months now. But I always return calls and have never not shown up for a set appointment to take measurements and get a proposal to a customer. My business has not really slowed up, it actually has been going crazy since the first of the year as I am seeing alot of people wanting to stay where they are and improve and upgrade the homes they are in. I also have a couple of new construction projects under way (one is a 12 car garage 3500 sqft) so new builds are also picking up some here in our area.

I don't do many of the home remodels at my own house, I just don't have the time and in most cases the expertise to do them the right way in a timely manner. We are going to remodel the master bath and I'm not a plumber or a tile guy, though I can do both, but again I am not the day to day expert on these trades so I leave it to those that do it everyday.
If a contractor does not show up for an appointment or does not return a call for days on end I tell them straight up they lost the job based on that, maybe they will learn from the experience. If I lost a job because I lacked a certain business skill set I would appreciate a prospective customer bringing it to my attention so I can not make the mistake again.

"Our" electrician is also MIA. We're sorta new in town and got a recommendation from the city's permit office based on who does most of the work on this builder's homes....even though the home was built over 10 years ago. But this is a smaller town and there's not a whole lot of residential construction going on to keep the construction trades busy.

Got them out for an estimate fairly quickly back in March. Nice enough guy came out and seemed to be writing a lot of notes and suggesting one thing or another as we went along. Nothing after that. I called them in early May to say, "Excuse me, but is our estimate ready?" The receptionist was quite nice, took my name and property address, saying someone would get back to me. :blah: No one ever called me back. :grrrr:

Believe me...if anyone in town asks about electricians, I'll be offering my 2 cents on the company! :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.