Calcium Hardness 500

Apr 15, 2010
4-15-10

I have 4 year old pool, 20000 gal, plaster bottom, fiberglass walls with SWG. Here are current numbers

FC 7(solar cover has been on)
PH 8 (added 1 qt muriatic acid)
TA 100
CH 500
CYA 45
Temp 83
Water looks great, crystal clear

I have read that with SWG and plaster I can keep higher CH but is 500 too high? Should I drain and refill a some?

Attachments

• IMG_7943_2.jpg
    IMG_7943_2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 109
Welcome to TFP. :wave:

It's high, but manageable as long as you keep the PH and TA in check... you should test your fill water- if it's high too there is no point in draining refilling if the fill water is high as well.

Depending on where you live, Reverse Osmosis treatments are available to remove the CH if you desire.

You should raise your CYA up to 60-70 - it will be easier on your SWG because you'll be able to turn down the % or run time. See Water Balance for SWG's in Pool School.

Thanks! I bought stabilizer today and will get the cya numbers up a bit.

Next question: I have some type of widespread staining going on on the bottom. I have attached a couple of pictures. I used photo editing on one to make the stain stand out more in the photo. Its hard to tell from photos but this area is on the bottom in 3 feet of water. Any ideas of what kind of staining this is and if i should do anything about it?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 77
The stains don't cause any harm, but they don't look very good and the longer you leave them there the harder it will be to remove them. If you do want to investigate what they are, try holding a vitamin C tablet against a stained area for 30 seconds and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.