Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness 500

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness 500

I have 4 year old pool, 20000 gal, plaster bottom, fiberglass walls with SWG. Here are current numbers

FC 7(solar cover has been on)
    PH 8 (added 1 qt muriatic acid)
    TA 100
    CH 500
    CYA 45
    Temp 83
    Water looks great, crystal clear

I have read that with SWG and plaster I can keep higher CH but is 500 too high? Should I drain and refill a some?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26,500 gallon, Hayward 200lb Sand Filter with Zeosand, 1HP Hayward Super pump, IG, vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Calcium Hardness 500

Welcome to TFP.

It's high, but manageable as long as you keep the PH and TA in check... you should test your fill water- if it's high too there is no point in draining refilling if the fill water is high as well.

Depending on where you live, Reverse Osmosis treatments are available to remove the CH if you desire.

You should raise your CYA up to 60-70 - it will be easier on your SWG because you'll be able to turn down the % or run time. See Water Balance for SWG's in Pool School.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

What a beautiful pool Welcome to the 'page!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I bought stabilizer today and will get the cya numbers up a bit.

Next question: I have some type of widespread staining going on on the bottom. I have attached a couple of pictures. I used photo editing on one to make the stain stand out more in the photo. Its hard to tell from photos but this area is on the bottom in 3 feet of water. Any ideas of what kind of staining this is and if i should do anything about it?

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26,500 gallon, Hayward 200lb Sand Filter with Zeosand, 1HP Hayward Super pump, IG, vinyl liner

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

The stains don't cause any harm, but they don't look very good and the longer you leave them there the harder it will be to remove them. If you do want to investigate what they are, try holding a vitamin C tablet against a stained area for 30 seconds and see what happens.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School