buying a heater

Apr 27, 2008
My pool is 22K gallons (so. calif). I'm thinking of buying a Raypak 266K cupro nickle heater. I keep the water at a constant 82 degrees, so rate of heat up is not an issue. I use a solar cover all the time when not in use. The calculators say I need a bigger one, but I don't think they address the issue of a solar cover being used. I have been able to maintain the water at 82 with just the cover and no heater, once it warms up to that.
Is a 266K heater big enough for these conditions? Any opinions of raypak digital NG?

I need to run a new gas line under the house, and wonder if it should be 3/4" or 1 inch.

Buy the 400K. It will maintain temp easier than the smaller one, and it doesn't cost much more.

Neither size line is sufficient. What is your length of run, and are you on Natural or propane? 1 1/2" is fine for runs up to 75' (natural gas), 2'' for up to 150', if I remember correctly (I can look it up if you like). There is a water column table that will tell you what you need, so you don't have to guess!

Welcome to the page from another Southern Californian!

Maybe this will help: The termination can be 1/2", but you have to be ale to deliver the volume of gas to adequately supply the heater. Think of it this way: you can suck water through a cocktail straw, but can you do the same with a cocktail straw and a milkshake?

I will see if I can find my water column paper and try and post it later. I'm just trying to save you the frustration of running a 1/2" line and not being able to run your heater. I'm not trying to cause trouble :wink:

The 266K heater should work, but as simicrintz said the larger one isn't too much more expensive.

The longer the pipe run the larger the required pipe diameter. There is friction as the gas moves down the pipe, slowing down the gas movement. The longer the pipe, the more friction there is, the less gas you can get through the pipe. Using larger pipe reduces the friction and allows you to get enough gas through the pipe to run the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.