filter drains when pump turned off

Apr 15, 2010
When I turn off the pump, can hear water flowing out of the sand filter. The pump strainer basket stays primed until I turn the multi-port valve to backwash - then it drains quickly. Also, the little glass thing used to always have water in it but not now. Also have a few bubbles in the pump strainer basket and the return jets. Could it be the gasket in the multi-port valve? Thank you for any advice!
20K IG, Hayward Multi-port valve, sand filter, 1.5hp motor

Welcome to TFP. Did the basket always drain when switching to backwash?

It could be the strainer basket lid leaking air since you said you have bubbles in it and coming out the returns. That would put air in the top of the filter and when you shut the pump off it's partially drain the filter. You can open the air bleed on the filter while the pump is running and see if air comes out of it. Try lubing the o-ring on the pump basket housing lid and see if that helps.

bk406 said:
As far as i know, a Hayward mulitport, (installed on top of the filter) when turned from filter to backwash, will release water and the pump basket will drain. I believe this is normal. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I think that part would be normal too as you are introducing air into the filter but it should drain out of the filter first. If you have a flex hose on the backwash line, that usually seals when in backwash until you can turn the pump on.

However, in normal mode, the filter should not drain and usually indicates a leak somewhere. Do you have solar and if so, do you have a check valve after the filter?

I took that the OP had no problems keeping water in the pump basket. It was when he turned the pump off, then moved the filter to backwash that the water drained from the filter and the pump basket. With his setup, thats normal. If the pump shuts off, but the multport stays in the filter position, the pump basket should not suddenly lose water though. I dont think thats what happens with the OP's situation, though.

bamafan53, welcome to TFP!!

(of course Bama Rambler was the first to post, you're HIS fan :lol: )

I think you're correct that something is wrong with the multiport :cool:

The gasket inside has probably warped or unseated on one of the 'webs' (the gasket is often referred to as a 'spider gasket') adjacent to the backwash/ waste port.

I've got to wonder WHY you are used to seeing the sightglass full of water in 'filter' mode :?

Please stick with us as we try to figure out what's going on with your filter -- the more info you can provide will help us do it more quickly :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your replies!! Yesterday, I turned off the pump and backwashed - did not lose prime this time. I'm guessing maybe the multi-port gasket temporarily reseated itself. The site glass has always stayed about half full when in filter mode - it even grows algae when I don't backwash very often. Still have little bubbles - does it really hurt anything to have a little air in the system?
Thanks again, everyone!

So the water is stagnant in the sight glass. By that I assume that the piping out of the drain is plumbed so that it holds a little water in the sight glass. While not ideal, it's probably not hurting anything.

There are those that will probably disagree with me, but air bubbles in the system is hurting something. Maybe not much, but it isn't supposed to be there. I'd spend a little time trying to figure out where they're getting in there if it were me.

The loss of prime & gurgling was probably caused by the backwash area of the gasket not fully resealing :cool: Just keep an eye on it, you have good reason to suspect a gasket issue with the multiport -so will know the first place to check if the trouble occurs again :)

r.e. - the small air bubbles: they are small and indicate a SMALL amount of air being allowed in on the suction side -- if it were my pool, I'd follow the 'trickle water thing' from Pool School's Leak Detection article to see if it's something easy to fix. If it's not an easy fix, I'd let it be until the bubbles got larger.

(I still can't believe that Bama has 53 fans and there still isn't a "wastefan01" :rant: :shock: :eek: ... :roll: :lol: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.