Fixing up the pool...pictures of my headache.

Jun 26, 2008
Hello all, sorry for this long freaking post. I have been off and on the board for a while getting ideas and getting ready to do something with my pool.

Long story short, I was going to remodel my pool last year but like so many other was laid off with the fun economy and all. Needless to say all plans immediately halted as the family went into conserve mode.Thankfully I now have a new and better job now so pool plans can continue.

I have owned this house/pool for the past 6 years, pool was on it's last legs when I got it, things have not improved....yet.
The pool was built in 1978, I have the original plans and specifications (even the building permit!!) from the previous owner.
All equipment is original from 1978 except the pump.

Here is what I have:
22k IG gunite pool.
16'x34' - 535 sqft
1 main drain with 1.5" copper pipe.
2 Skimmers, the kind that connect through the main drain. (I only have 1 suction line from the pool)
Master-Supply Turbo Clean in floor cleaning system: 5 stations, 2 heads per station. (Each station has 1.5" pipe, this is my only return to the pool, can't bypass)
52 sqft DE filter w/separation tank. Old Sta-Rite with 10,000 bolts around the edge (haha)
2 HP Single speed pump.
250k BTU Laars Teledyne heater. (has only been used 3 times in 30 years, never by me)
Attached spa w/spillover (3.5' deep)
Spa drain is 1.5" copper pipe
Spa has 4 jets from a single 1.5" copper return
Spa has a Master-Supply Air bar system with a 1 hp blower.
Pool had a solar heating system installed sometime in the early 80's, panels broke at some point and were removed from the roof. 2" PVC supply and 1.5" PVC return lines remain in place and are capped off on the roof.

I will post pictures of my existing system in the next post. For now this is what I have planned to do:

1. New filter - already bought (craigslist) a used hayward 72 sqft de filter in good condition.
2. New pump - have a spare (used) 2 hp single speed pump I bought off a friend a few years ago for $100, in good shape.
3. SWG and Automation - thinking of the Aqua Logic Plus, two birds one stone
4. Spa Blower - new or pick up used from craigslist
5. Heater - keep and try to clean up for re-use
6. Solar - Maybe wait for next year.
7. In floor cleaner - new water valve and retro fit pop-up replacement heads. This item alone is like $700 :shock:
8. One of the skimmers doesn't work (pipe clogged?)
9. Pool has a leak from a failed patch that I need to repair.
10. Clean out as best I can the drains and returns, lines are filled with algae and gross stagnant water (filter and pump died 2 years ago)
11. Air bar in spa is cracked - scratching my head on this one (see pics in next post)
12. I will hit the pool and spa really good with a pressure washer, I was advised against acid washing.

Let me know what you guys think.

On with the pictures already!!

OK DISCLAIMER
My backyard is a mess, we are doing the pool at the same time as the landscaping in the backyard so we have "let it go" for now. Forgive the weeds/mess.

2010-04-14%2018.56.42.jpg

Here is the pool, that bane of my existence since we moved into the house.

2010-04-14%2018.58.13.jpg

From the deep end.

2010-04-14%2018.58.26.jpg

Different angle.

2010-04-14%2018.59.40.jpg

Steps and spa spillover. That white splotch on the bottom right is one of the sloppy plaster patches I need to fix.

2010-04-14%2018.59.57.jpg

Deep end from inside.

2010-04-14%2018.59.31.jpg

The spa, you can see the air bar in the seat area and on the floor with chunks missing and no doubt filled with debris and scooge. I have no idea what to do here.....

2010-04-14%2018.57.08.jpg

Equipment pad - the Frankensteined white PVC is me trying to bypass the filter and slide valve when they fell apart just so I could circulate the water.

2010-04-14%2018.57.17.jpg

Another angle, I so hate that filter, even with an air ratchet it still took foooorever.

2010-04-14%2018.57.41.jpg

Blower and breaker box/timer.

2010-04-14%2018.57.30.jpg

Water valve with the top removed, gears are stripped and it gets stuck sometimes. They sell a tune up kit with new gears and spider gasket, should be good to go then.

That's what i have to work with, let me know what you think.
:-D

I am in Vallejo, CA (SF Bay Area) Progress will be a little slow but I am really wanting to get this done so we can swim at least for part of the summer. One of my big motivations is starting to teach my son to swim (he is 3). Funny how kids can change priorities. Honestly if it wasn't for wanting to teach him to swim the pool would have sat empty for a few more years.

Great pictures and I love the empty bleach bottle in the deep end. :-D Keep us posted on the progress and include photos. We enjoy seeing the projects spring to life.

You have a beautiful pool, probably was considered a top of the line and very expensive addition back in 1978. If I were you I would replace all the equipment, fill her up and enjoy. Add some landscaping and you will have a backyard Resort.

Thanks guys! I am working on it slowly, will keep you all updated. For now I am taking my time getting all of the new equipment, picking up used stuff can really save you big time.
Bought a 72 Sq ft. DE Filter from a pool guy who removed it at the customer's request because the pool service was charging too much to maintain it! He cleaned it up for me and other than being a little sun bleached it's in perfect condition, flawless grids!! Best part is it only set me back $250.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cobra46 said:
I have been seeing many people who sell all their pool equipment before their house gets foreclosed. I have been seeing lots of nice equipment on Craigslist.

Yep. I got a 406,000 btu raypak heater, 450 sq ft. sta-rite filter, two pumps, salt system, jandy one touch sub panel, actuators, valves, plumbing, and an automatic cleaner for $1,000. All the stuff was about 2 or 3 years old.

As I ponder and plan I have a couple of questions:
Both my skimmers have no weir, I don't think they ever did as there is no place to attach them. Is this normal?
Do I just use standard polyurethane caulking to replace the cracking stuff between the deck and the coping (where the weeds are growing up through)?

Does anybody have any experience with the spa air bars that I have? (the strips embedded in the seat and floor of the spa)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.