Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overhead lighting for new pool owner

overhead lighting for new pool owner

I just installed our 24' AGP and was wondering what kind of lighting to use? I was thinking something overhead, maybe a floodlight, but I dont want it overly bright to annoy the neighbors. I really only want the pool lit up from above as we already have accent lighting for the deck area and that light does not make it to the pool area.

Any suggestions?
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

Re: overhead lighting for new pool owner

Overhead lighting will probably make your pool a bug haven. Even a light in the pool will draw some bugs. I usually use 4 to 6 tiki torches when we swim at night.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

We have a Nightlighter Multicolor in our pool and I got to tell you that I love it. With it and the deck lights we have plenty of light at night but not so much as to be bothersome.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I concur about the bugs. We have a tripod flood light that we sometimes bring out for parties and what not - for safety reasons we move it far enough away that no one will accidently touch/trip on it, it does attract the bugs though -but at least they are by the light and not by the pool. Of course it's always fun to try and turn it off , while being swarmed by june bugs and giant moths...LOL

I'm thinking about this too, will give the tiki's a try, with some deck lights. New patio set this year, want to create a more 'outdoor living' area by the pool and maybe swim at night more...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Will a floodlight attract bugs even if it is mounted on the house, about 20ft. above the surface of the pool and the deck area?
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

Yes, but they will be pretty localized to the light itself. I don't think swimmers in the pool will be bothered by them.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

well, since we have determined that the bugs will be attracted to the light about 20' above the pool/deck area, what kind of light should I look at? Keep in mind, it will only be to light the pool and not the entire backyard and neighbors yard. I was looking at the rectangular halogen lights, but they are really, really bright and probably has too much light cast out.
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff74
    well, since we have determined that the bugs will be attracted to the light about 20' above the pool/deck area, what kind of light should I look at? Keep in mind, it will only be to light the pool and not the entire backyard and neighbors yard. I was looking at the rectangular halogen lights, but they are really, really bright and probably has too much light cast out.
    Just get a small pool light. When the water is lit, you can see everything in there.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Senior Member In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    We have a Nightlighter Multicolor in our pool and I got to tell you that I love it. With it and the deck lights we have plenty of light at night but not so much as to be bothersome.
    I second this. The Multicolor from Smartpool is a great light. Very easy to install and the quality is excellent.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells
    PoolHeatPumpWarehouse.com - AquaCal Heat Pumps

Ok, I'm curious about the Smartpool nitelite. So you just hang it over the side or what? IT's not an electrical hazard, having it in there hanging from the cord?

There's a bracket that hangs over the wall that holds the light up so it's not hanging from the cord. It's not an electrical hazard because it's fed from a 12v current limited transformer and that's plugged into a GFCI receptacle. It has a 28' cord from the transformer to the light. There's a small waterproof switch on the top of the bracket that you use to change the color or have it cycle through all the colors.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

SOLD!

Sears has the best price I've found!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

anyone have any pics of their Nightlighter Multicolor in use?

It looks to be such a small light.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

Also, what wattage would be best for what size of pool without overpowering it? I have seen 35, 50 and 100 watt lights so far.
    24' AGP
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

The nitelighter is listed as a 100w light but the indivdual lamps are 35 watt each. I feel it's just right in our 24' pool. I'll try to take pictures one night when I have the solar cover off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Would this Nightlighter work for an inground pool?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

No, due to the way it attaches to the pool. You might be able to rig up something but it wouldn't be pretty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

I just looked on Amazon and they do make them for inground pools. I may just get one of those solared powered lights that float in the water.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

I will go 3rd's on the Nightliter .... Also on those you can change out one bulb to a regular clear bulb with a 35w MR11 bulb and get the 35 deg spacing flood --It lights my 24' very nicely .. cheapest price I found was at poolsupplies.com for 99.99...
    24' x52" ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Pool Rover (best investment made along with the SWG)--added Poolskim --great working gizmo..!!!!!!!!
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style