Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine level in cold water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine level in cold water?

I went to remove my winter cover yesterday. Water is a bit cloudy, I tried to shock the pool, but the FC is rising very slowly. The water temperature is 50, after adding about 5 gallons of chlorine(sodium hypochlorite 10.8 %), the FC is only about 0.5, the pool is about 8500 gallons, I have not started the pump or heater. Should I keep adding more chlorine or should I wait till I bring up the water temperature and shock again?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine level in cold water?

you need to circulate your water quickly...your low fc is most likely that the liquid chlorine has not mixed well with the water

5 gallons of 10% at once in a 8500gal pool is enough to raise your FC to 60+ppm
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, what dmanb2b said. You need to have some circulation going or the chlorine can all "pool" on the bottom and possibly damage the pool surface. If turning on the pump is difficult, brushing the pool will mix things enough to solve the imediate problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Also, check your cyanuric acid level too and make sure that is in range as well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick reply. I just placed my cover pump into the shallow end and dropped the hose at the deep end to help to circulate. I'll post back in about half an hour. Funny thing is, despite having added so much chlorine, I don't get a very strong chlorine smell around the pool.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just tested the water, FC is still at 0.5, I even raised the temperature of the sample to 75 F (by placing it in a microwave), FC is still at 0.5. Is it possible that I got a bad batch of liquid chlorine? Because even right from the bottle I could smell chlorine but not very strong, my wife confirmed that. The chlorine comes in a 5 Litre plastic bottle, it has a screw cap, you press down to open, but there isn't a paper or tin foil seal on the opening, is it possible that these are last year's left over stock and over time, some of the chlorine has dissipated? I have no other explanation.
    OH TWINS

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ke
    I just tested the water, FC is still at 0.5, I even raised the temperature of the sample to 75 F (by placing it in a microwave), FC is still at 0.5. Is it possible that I got a bad batch of liquid chlorine? Because even right from the bottle I could smell chlorine but not very strong, my wife confirmed that. The chlorine comes in a 5 Litre plastic bottle, it has a screw cap, you press down to open, but there isn't a paper or tin foil seal on the opening, is it possible that these are last year's left over stock and over time, some of the chlorine has dissipated? I have no other explanation.
    I'd bet on it.

There's a big box hardware store near me that sells pool stuff out in the garden area. (Can you guess who?) The pallet of Chlorine looks pretty weather-worn, so I've given it a pass.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry everyone, I just tested the water again, the FC at the deep end is over 60 and only ahout 5 at the shallow end, so it has to do with circulation, my CYA is less than 20, now should I worry about too high chlorine, tomorrow will be a sunny day, I should just let daylight break down the chlorine. At least my pool gets a good shock.
    OH TWINS

9. Back To Top    #9

60? Yikes - yes, definitely let the sun do it's work.

Did you use the pool calculator first, do determine dosage? high FC levels can be corrosive, best not to make mistakes like that in the future.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Tonight the FC is down to about 20. I have the cover pump running non-stop. I will wait till the FC to fall below 10 before turning on the pool pump.
    OH TWINS