Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pulsating returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Pulsating returns

When my pump is in low speed, one of the returns is kinda pulsating and making tiny bubbles at the surface. When is Hihg-speed mode its fine, but the floor returns start to pulsate.

Its a new pool and will call the builder on Thursday to check it out.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pulsating returns

Welcome to TFP!!

My quick analysis is that you have an issue with the pump lid. (on low, there's not enough suction to fully seal it which is corrected when high kicks in )

Of course, there could be something else...
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

My quick analysis is that you have an issue with the pump lid. (on low, there's not enough suction to fully seal it which is corrected when high kicks in )

Of course, there could be something else...
    Thanks, I checked it. Its seems to be sealed tight as ****.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

4. Back To Top    #4

Pulsing is usually caused by air getting into the pump strainer basket relatively slowly. The lid of the strainer basket is the first place to look, but also check that the water level is high enough on the skimmer(s) that no air is being drawn down the vortex. If that is alright, you need to look for somewhere else that air might be getting into the plumbing between the skimmer(s)/main drain and the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Pulsing is usually caused by air getting into the pump strainer basket relatively slowly. The lid of the strainer basket is the first place to look, but also check that the water level is high enough on the skimmer(s) that no air is being drawn down the vortex. If that is alright, you need to look for somewhere else that air might be getting into the plumbing between the skimmer(s)/main drain and the pump.
    Thanks Jason. I checked all that and nothing. I will contact the builder to have them look at it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Of course, I overlooked that its a new pool and the PB should diagnose and correct the issue

Please let us know what Mr. PB says
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Of course, I overlooked that its a new pool and the PB should diagnose and correct the issue

Please let us know what Mr. PB says
    Well, they said it could be a few things:

A clog somewhere in the pipes

Chlorine being generated by the SWG (Yes, my chlorine in over the top now)

Air in the system.

Well it stopped yesterday after I reseated the the lid on the pump and open the cartridge valve and released water as it filled.

No I am not sure which it was. But the PB is rated very high as their tech/warranty

So I am not sure which it was. But the pulsating and the champagne bubbles on the surface are gone.