Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My water is green, is this algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

My water is green, is this algae?

Topic Split off by Moderator

Is it possible for a large amt of yellow pollen can give a green color to the water? When I test my TC is 3.5 my CC is 0 . My CYA is 50 and my ph is 7.8. I did add some muriatic acid this am to lower ph. I am just wondering if this is algae or pollen ( we have a huge oak tree by the pool which puts out lg amt of pollen. Cant hand anything outside without yellow on it later in day)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My water is green, is this algae?

TC?

What are you testing with? Is your free chlorine holding overnight? This is how you rule out organics/algae as the source.

Refer to the CYA chart...
    3.5 - if it's Free Chlorine (TC doesn't tell us enough) is too low for your CYA level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

It could be pollen, but as FPM said, the way to tell is by doing an overnight FC loss test.

After the sun goes down, measure your FC. Then, when you get up in the morning, before any sun hits the water, check your FC again. If you have lost more than 0.5 ppm of your FC, you probably have algae and need to shock your pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both- testing with big Taylor kit and will make certain that FC holds tonite- Thanks again

5. Back To Top    #5

There may be times during the day when pool water appears to have a green tinge as the result of leaves reflecting on the surface if you have trees nearby, and you did say you have a big oak tree. Is it in leaf yet?
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I did the overnite test and it is algae so I shocked to 20 this am -of course had to leave town so did not follow up hourly- got back this evening and FC was 8.5 CC was o. So hit it with more bleach adjusted my ph back to 7.2 I will let the pump run all night again and see what it is like in am. Water is barely cloudy ( as I have had in prior seasons) Just some green staining on sides of pool and steps which I brushed off this evening. Water is just not sparkling. Tomorrow is another day- Thanks again for the help

7. Back To Top    #7

Glad to help... keep it up!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Be careful making ph adjustments while the FC is high. High FC throws off the ph test.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you re pH testing- I thought I remembered that from last year- does it affect ALK and calcium as well?

10. Back To Top    #10

High FC levels can change the appearance of the colors you see during the TA and CH tests, but the tests still work and still give good results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School