Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mineral Springs HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Mineral Springs HELP!!

Guys, I have a very good, personal friend..that just had a local pool company put up a new 27' AGP and had them attend their "pool school" tonight..where basically they "indoctrinated" everyone into using the products they carry called MINERAL SPRINGS. I told him it was all a load of hogwash, and all he really needed was Bleach, Borox and Baking Soda. He doesn't believe me, as "mineral springs" contains other "BETTER" stuff for the water and you don't have to be "as careful" when using it.

How can I talk him out of this stuff, not only to save him headaches, but also money in the long run?? I am not good with all the tech talk, and lingo..so if some of you can help me out and come up with some info to convince him that Mineral Springs isn't his only option, would be great.

Thanks for listening

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mineral Springs HELP!!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. When he's done hurting himself, he'll come around.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

yeah..I told him..he's paying for an expensive bag of mixed salt, acid and borox. what can I show him to prove that he is getting TAKEN by these idiots.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You will be more at peace with yourself if you let him/her seek his own comfort level....which he has apparently done. People do not want to hear what they do not want to hear. No good deed goes unpunished!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have always been the same idiot this friend is, but I'm starting to see the light of BBB. After my pool is clear, it's only BBB for me.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

6. Back To Top    #6

Denis, that is what finally convinces many people.. seeing the light in the clear pool!
    Dan, let it go. When his pool is green in July, or September, or next year, and he asks, "Why is yours always so great?" you can steer him here for some learnin'!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7

He'll see the light when he gets tired of paying a small fortune for the line of products, which are exactly what you told him they are and nothing more.

I vote - give it one more try. Print these sheets off for him - this is what he is paying ridiculous prices for:
    http://www.thepoolteammd.com/pdfs/Mi...%20Renewal.pdf
    http://piscines-apollo.com/bioguard/123233.pdf

And in this thread, an SWG user wants OFF Bioguard and askes about alternatives:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/swg-n...gs-t17717.html

They discuss other Bioguard brand products for balancing, which are just very expensive acid, baking soda and calcium. All identical products which can be found for less money than under the Bioguard brand name.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

The best thing you can do for your friend is give this websites address and tell them to come read this thread.

If you're hard headed and really hate to see your friend waste money and still have issues. Either tell them to read the section labeled "Soylent Green Is… Baking Soda" in this Blog or print it out and leave it with them. It's some very interesting reading about Mineral Springs.

Some people are slow to come around. I have several friends that I've tried to steer our way and they wouldn't have it. My pool has been open all year for them to see just how easy it is to keep a really trouble free pool. Some of them are finally coming around.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for all your help. I just now printed out the MSDS sheets for him, and I printed out the soylent green article. I've read that blog before and it's great. I have to print this all out, because he never goes on a computer, Unless he is over at my house, then we actually sit down and I have shown him this site SEVERAL times. He was ready to pay this pool store over $1200 for an AquaRite SWCG, and another $2400 for the Jandy 250,000 BTU pool heater. I took him ONLINE to show him what he should ACTUALLY be paying..and he was floored. So he did go in and complain and they came down on those prices for him.

Anyway...I armed him with a little info BEFORE he went to the stores "pool school" last night, where a Mineral Springs Company Rep was there to talk to them. He did ask the questions like..Isn't that just sodium bicarbonate....etc etc...and he said all he got from the Rep was a puzzled look on his face, and said well YES and NO. I guess he shocked the mineral springs guy that he had at least a little info.
    Man I would have LOVED to have sat in on that pool school. I think I would of really given the Mineral Springs guy FITS.

Dan