Converting to SWG from bromine - draining pool

Apr 13, 2010
I have an inground concrete pool that has been using bromine for many years. Between the cost of the bromine and the old brominator dying, I am in the process of purchasing a SWG. I'd like to get clarification on a couple of things if I could. I was told by one store that the conversion would be no problem, while a second told me I would need to drain the pool to get rid of the residual bromides.

1. Which is the correct answer? Do I need to drain?
2. If I do need to drain, do I need to completely empty the pool to correct the issue?
3. I've never drained the pool since I owned the house - are there any gotcha's or tricks that I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP.

Yes, you need to completely replace all of the water. That may or may not be a problem depending on what kind of pool you have a how deep your water table is. You don't want to completely drain a vinyl liner pool, but can often drain a concrete/plaster/gunite pool, depending on the water table depth. There is a more complex alternative involving a really huge sheet of plastic to keep the old and new water separate if you can't drain the pool, but it has it's own complxities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.