Newbie Questions/Advice on Overall Depth/Deep End

Aug 28, 2009
I'm a big-boy AGP newbie, and I'm really struggling with the whole depth issue (as evidenced by my questions.)

We have a new-to-us 52" AGP, 15x30'. It seems when filled, the 52" is really more like 44-45" water depth. From the other pools we've had (most recently 18' intex metal frame), you end up having to kind of squat down to really enjoy the water and feel like you're "in it." I'm not that excited about that.

The pool we have now has the non-buttress straps (4), and I can do a "deep end", but it seems that will just reduce the "usable" space for the non deep end side of the pool.

The pool will be "on ground" but below grade (sunken in the ground, but not backfilled, deck over it,) so the exterior look of it isn't really an issue, AND I can pretty well dig the hole any way I need to.

Questions:

1) Can you create buttresses for a non-buttress pool to eliminate the straps?
2) Is there a "standard" depth design for in ground pools that can be applied to AGP's? This is my biggest struggle is how to design the depth of the pool so that you can walk around, swim, etc. and maximize the overall use of it.
- I'm pretty well assuming I'll need to do a custom in ground liner for the agp, so it seems I could actually do an in ground pool type bottom design with a slope, etc. if it's possible, which I don't know if it is.
- It seems a standard deep end in an AGP would largely be wasted space, other than just for diving down (not diving in).

Please help. I really just don't know how to design the bottom. Should this be posted in construction instead?

You have to be really careful sloping the bottom. You tend to slide down to the deeper water, which is dangerous for non-swimmers.

IG pools are commonly built with what's known as a hopper-bottom. The walls are vertical about 3ft down. At the shallow end, the vertical walls transition to a flat bottom. At the deep end, the vertical walls transition to about 45 degree walls that go down to the full 8 or 8.5ft depth. In between, the transition goes from 3ft to 8ft in about 15ft. There is no flat bottomed area more than 3ft deep except the deepest part of the pool, which is too deep for walking.

Here is an image to help you visualize that http://www.homebuiltpools.com/liners/ordrform/toppag1.jpg

JohnT said:
You have to be really careful sloping the bottom. You tend to slide down to the deeper water, which is dangerous for non-swimmers.

IG pools are commonly built with what's known as a hopper-bottom. The walls are vertical about 3ft down. At the shallow end, the vertical walls transition to a flat bottom. At the deep end, the vertical walls transition to about 45 degree walls that go down to the full 8 or 8.5ft depth. In between, the transition goes from 3ft to 8ft in about 15ft. There is no flat bottomed area more than 3ft deep except the deepest part of the pool, which is too deep for walking.

Here is an image to help you visualize that http://www.homebuiltpools.com/liners/ordrform/toppag1.jpg

Okay, that makes sense. The hopper bottom is very similar to what wil-bur recommends for doing a deep end.

I also see some pools that have dual-depth ledges for the shallow end (see attached.)

[attachment=1:mv9ivl1h]118281-99_left.jpg[/attachment:mv9ivl1h]

I'm almost wondering if going with some sort of stepped shallow end like that on one end, but then a standard depth for the rest (with the shallow end depth as a ledge even on the deeper part) would be best?

Here's a quick drawing. I'm not sure about carrying the shallow part all the way around.

[attachment=0:mv9ivl1h]agp.gif[/attachment:mv9ivl1h]

Attachments

• 118281-99_left.jpg
    118281-99_left.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 198
  • agp.gif
    agp.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 198
I don't think that would be safe, both for preventing a non-swimmer from suddenly falling into deep water, and the likelihood of someone impacting the ledge dividing the deep end from the shallow end. From your IP address, I suspect you are in an area that doesn't have building codes, but most codes require no more than 1' depth increase for 3' of length on the transition from shallow to deep. That would apply for your ledge and your shallow end transition. You might not get a liner manufacturer to make it that way from liability concerns.

That's right, codes are a non-issue, but I do want to be safe.

I might just be over-complicating it.

All things considered, would you suggest going with a standard 6' deep end like they show below, or just going standard all around? I'm hopeful that I won't have to touch the liner stuff again for 10-15 years, so I would like to get it right the first time. I suppose going with the "standard" expandable layout, I still have 21-22' x 15 to use other than deep end. I just don't want to waste that 8-9' if I shouldn't with the 6' deep end.

[attachment=0:33odddqs]deepend.gif[/attachment:33odddqs]

Attachments

• deepend.gif
    deepend.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 185
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... l%20Build/

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but here is the link to our AGP install. We had a 16x32 Doughboy installed with 4' shallow and 7' deep end. The deep end looks small from the pictures, but when we're in there swimming, there's lots of room for several of us to race to the bottom! We're putting the slide in in late spring.

What I liked about the way they did this is that it has a 2' ledge around the deep end. Our son didn't know how to swim very well at the install and I felt much better about him being able to just get over to the ledge. And we've discovered that we have more than enough room in the shallow end as well. It's much better than we thought on having plenty of room on each end.

I've posted the deck build as well. We'll be putting in the paver walkway to the pool this spring too.

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss30 ... k%20Build/

Best of luck on your install. Please post lots of pics!

Thanks for that, it really helps give me some good info, and love the pics! Ah, the deck staining/everything overspray experience...hard to beat that, isn't it? ;->

I think it makes sense with all of the feedback I've gotten to go with a fairly traditional deep end like the manufacturer recommends, and more or less what you have (you have a wider edge, which I agree also is a good idea.)

Thanks!

LOL, you're absolutely right about the overspray! The plastic sheets came apart in the middle and guess what went right into the pool? But the really sad part is that, less than 12 hours after he finished, rain started and didn't stop for another THREE weeks!! We'd looked at the forecast beforehand, and there was no indication that it would keep going, and the chance of rain was, I believe, 30% for the next day. Go figure. Anyway, we're just happy to have a deck and hope to get an umbrella or build the cover over the back part this year (where the table chairs are).

Best of luck on your build and please....lots of pictures!!

LOL, you're absolutely right about the overspray! The plastic sheets came apart in the middle and guess what went right into the pool? But the really sad part is that, less than 12 hours after he finished, rain started and didn't stop for another THREE weeks!! We'd looked at the forecast beforehand, and there was no indication that it would keep going, and the chance of rain was, I believe, 30% for the next day. Go figure. Anyway, we're just happy to have a deck and hope to get an umbrella or build the cover over the back part this year (where the table chairs are).

Best of luck on your build and please....lots of pictures!!
Hi Cherie. I know this conversation is old, but thought I would see if you are still online. I'm very interested in your build as we are considering doing something nearly identical. I went to look at your pics and it says the album is password protected? Let me know if you are available for some questions on your build. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.