Nee some help

momof3

Jun 19, 2009
Kentucky
I am getting ready to open the pool.. I have filled it up to the correct level and am getting ready to take the cover off but did my water testing

FC=7PPM

CC=0

TA=70

CH=110

CYA=20 I could still see the dot in the bottom even after it was full

First I was wondering if I could go ahead and shock it with the winter cover still on and how long do I need to keep it at shock level? How much shock should I add?

I am a little rusty as it's been a few months since I messed with the pool.... Thanks bunches.... :party:

Was the water circulating for several hours before you tested? If your FC is 7 I doubt you need to shock it at all.

Edit: Also, did you allow the CYA test sample to come to room temp before conducting the test? Cold temps could affect the results.

I turned the pump on last night and tested this morning so it was running all night... How is that possible to not need to shock or do anything to it after sitting all winter?

I didnt really allow it to get to room temperature.. I mean it was sitting for about 10 minutes or so while I did all the other tests..

I havent taken off the winter cover yet (still a little chilly to swim) so not really sure how the water looks... From what I can tell it looks clear...

I used the calculator last year so I am sure I could figure it out again.

momof3 said:
... How is that possible to not need to shock or do anything to it after sitting all winter?

The last three openings since joining TFP I still had a FC residual and my water was clear and no CC's were present. My FC was holding overnight, so no reason to shock. :wink:

We base the need to shock on specific things - like unusual FC demand, confirmed thru an overnight FC loss test; CCs that are greater than .5, green swampy water, etc. As long as you opened to clear water with a FC greater than your "min" for your CYA, your FC holds overnight and no CCs, there is no reason to shock.

It's possible the CYA test is not accurate if the water was very cold. You can retest this or retest after you add say, enough to increase it by 10ppm, then retest after a week or so. Just make sure the water is room temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.