Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in System

1. Back To Top    #1
    Oakton, VA

Air in System

Not sure if I should start a new post or jump in this one
    If you are not sure, then please start a new topic! Thanks JasonLion

I have the same situation as Maxomom, air bubbles in the pump basket. In the mornings after the pump has been off, the water is at the same level. I can't find any leak, so I am not sure where the air is getting in. Is it possible that this is a sign of the pump dying? There were 2-3 occassions in the past couple of days when for no apparent reason the pump basket suddenly would be only half full of water and after turning the pump on and off couple of times, the problem would somewhat correct itself.
    free form 40k gal, IG, plaster, Triton II 100C sand filter, Lite 2 heater
    1 1/2 HP Pentair Ultra Flow High Performance pump
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Air in System

This is not a sign of pump problems. Air in the pump basket means that air is getting into the suction side of the plumbing. That could be the water level being too low so the skimmer lets air in, or a loose or improperly sealed pump strainer basket lid that is letting air in, or a suction side plumbing leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Toms River, NJ

Just to add to Jason's suggestions, I had a bad seal on my pump basket (not in the lid) that was causing this last season - it was more easily traced by checking if water "spits" out from anywhere the moment you turn off your pump.
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Let us not forget a skimmer weir that sticks intermittently
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Indiana

I opened my pool Saturday, and had been seeing some bubbles on and off. Turned out it was a loose union valve on the drain line. Year before last it was a bad O-ring on the pump basket drain plug. Any source of air will do it, as will a restriction of skimmer weir action.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Let us not forget a skimmer weir that sticks intermittently
    Yep, all it takes is a little twig to do it.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT