Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very first TF100 test results, need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Very first TF100 test results, need advice

Pool cover is still on, am opening end of this week but wanted to get a sneak preview of what I might find. I know the previous owner was pool stored so I expected high CYA. Sample was taken under the cover through the skimmer.

FC 7.5 (seems way high)
    CC 0.5
    TC 8.0
    pH 6.8
    TA 40
    CH 350? (Solution turned from pink to purple at 260, and to light blue at 350)
    CYA 80
    Water temp 72 F

I know the readings will change once I have pump going and water curculating. Looks like I will need to do a partial drain and refill to lower CYA to around 30-50 ppm (water level is currently about 6 inches below bottom of skimmer).

Once I get cover off, should I drain some water and refill to lower CYA first and then retest? These numbers seem out of whack all around, so what order should I tackle them? Just use pool calcultor and adjust each level one at a time or do pH and FC first?
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Very first TF100 test results, need advice

Most likely all of your numbers will change once you have the water circulating for a couple of hours. So nothing we suggest right now is likely to apply.

If those were your real opening numbers, I would suggest raising PH and TA with soda ash right away and then trying to live with the higher than normal CYA level for a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you add 9-10" of water to bring the level up to your skimmer, your CYA is going to go down anyway. Get it full, get it circulating, and then get new readings.

For what it's worth - CYA readings are very temperature dependent, as I recently discovered. The reaction between the sample and the reagent is sluggish when cold. You can gain 20ppm without doing anything but letting it sit in the sun. You could mix that first, shake it, and stick it in your pocket, or clamp it between your legs, something to warm it up. Do the rest of your tests, then shake up the CYA test good and start reading. Pour it back into the mixing jar, shake again, repeat. If I get the same reading 3 or 4 times out of 6, that's what I call it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    For what it's worth - CYA readings are very temperature dependent, as I recently discovered. The reaction between the sample and the reagent is sluggish when cold.
    Yeah, but OP also reported a temp of 72F which should be fine for the CYA test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Pour it back into the mixing jar, shake again, repeat. If I get the same reading 3 or 4 times out of 6, that's what I call it.
    This is always worth doing. I do the black-dot part at least 3 times to make sure I'm being consistent.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page