Slow build-2 week wait for local AGP permit

KurtG

Feb 26, 2010
Annapolis, MD
Went Friday to get my "walk through" permit. Evidently what your told on the phone is different than in person. I have a 2 week wait. Seems a bit ridiculous for an AGP. In addition to the usual building, zoning, and grading issues, my permit has to go to the Health Department since we have a well and Sanitation as we are on a public system deemed at capacity with a no-new residence restriction. Had to run back out and make 8 copies of my lot drawing and 3 of the pool construction directions.

So, spent the weekend building a fence around the pool area (no permit needed for the fence) and raking my alien landing spot so weeds don't germinate. Also ordered the Aqua-trol unit and put together the pool ladder in the garage.

Still have to get electrical quotes and they have to pull their own permits here. Homeowners are not allowed to do any electrical work.

I think they lose money on the permit, with all the time involved but they do get access to your yard, etc. for property tax reporting reasons.

It is a bit ridiculous that my AGP permit has to go to health and sanitation for well and sewer issues. I don't have to mark any of the neighbors wells or sewers. Theirs are probably closer than my own. We purposely went with a cartridge filter as I remembered all the backwashing we had with the sand filter growing up with our inground pool.

Electricity is going to be the next nightmare since all has to be done by a county licensed contractor and they will have to pull their own permit too. Start getting quotes today. I hope to do all the trenching.

2 weeks here in NY as well...electrical was included in the pool permit. Between the pool permit and the deck permit the whole process took about 45 days. As FPM mentioned, depends on you local town ordinances

We had to submit the building permit first, then pull the electrical permit, then finally we could pay the city to move the power and cable lines (our city owns all are utility's except gas). Once the lines were moved we were able to start the install. Luckily I could pull home owner permits for the building and electrical so we did not have to hire anything out. I also install the pump and aquatrol in the garage so I did not have to run any new electrical lines. Good luck, our inspector were OK, just make sure you know your codes and discuss it with them in advance.

KurtG said:
Went Friday to get my "walk through" permit. Evidently what your told on the phone is different than in person. I have a 2 week wait. Seems a bit ridiculous for an AGP. In addition to the usual building, zoning, and grading issues, my permit has to go to the Health Department since we have a well and Sanitation as we are on a public system deemed at capacity with a no-new residence restriction. Had to run back out and make 8 copies of my lot drawing and 3 of the pool construction directions.

So, spent the weekend building a fence around the pool area (no permit needed for the fence) and raking my alien landing spot so weeds don't germinate. Also ordered the Aqua-trol unit and put together the pool ladder in the garage.

Still have to get electrical quotes and they have to pull their own permits here. Homeowners are not allowed to do any electrical work.

Kurt...I went through a similar thing...the permits and their instructions are vague at best...I had to pull some political clout to allow my electricians to have a one time job permit with the city, because non of the cities licensed electricians wanted to be bothered with my teeny weeny electrical instal. My father was a city councilman...so that helped in the clout department...All in all even though I had all the plans approved, and everything in a month and a half before the build...I got my permit hung in the window a half an hour before the pool builder showed up...and yes my pool is an AGP as well. I almost got bumped to the end of the installation list which would have meant mid June instead of Mid may...Try to be patient...or if that doesn't work...see if you know someone who know's someone...It can't hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.