Recommend me a dishwasher

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Coming up this weekend I am going to be getting a new dishwasher. Here in Texas they are giving rebates for getting energy efficient appliances. I was lucky enough to get in and reserve my rebate for a new dishwasher.

Please recommend me one and I would like to stay under 600.00. Looking for standard 24 inches widith in size.

Thanks.

I would buy a Bosch or a Miele. You may not be able to find one in the range you are looking to stay in, but it will be the last dishwasher you will need to buy. I would look at it this way: you are willing to spend $600.00 now, but let's say the one you really want is $800.00. To me, that means the amount you need to find is only $200.00, since you already have set aside $600.00. This would allow you to get the best and not compromise (and have to buy another one in 10 years or whenever this one fails!).

Consumer Reports is a great source, but they do not test all brands/units. If a particular unit that you are looking is featured, I would use their info, but don't discount another just because it may not be in there!

Good luck!

simicrintz said:
I would buy a Bosch or a Miele. You may not be able to find one in the range you are looking to stay in, but it will be the last dishwasher you will need to buy. I would look at it this way: you are willing to spend $600.00 now, but let's say the one you really want is $800.00. To me, that means the amount you need to find is only $200.00, since you already have set aside $600.00. This would allow you to get the best and not compromise (and have to buy another one in 10 years or whenever this one fails!).

Consumer Reports is a great source, but they do not test all brands/units. If a particular unit that you are looking is featured, I would use their info, but don't discount another just because it may not be in there!

Good luck!

I have heard about Bosch, but the one thing driving me away is the no heat dry option. From what I have read, it reuses the steam built up inside to dry the dishes. If you want to get them dry you have to crack the dishwaser and let them dry that way. I may have explained it wrong, but that is what I got from what I have read. The Bosch are also a little more energy efficient and meet the requirements for the rebater which is larger, but only by 30.00.

The ones I have been looking at are the whirlpool, to where you can move the utensil holder onto the door which allows for more dishes to be loaded and the basket not taking up room.

I have looked into consumer reports, but it seems dishwashers do not get reviews that much or maybe where I am looking is not the right place.

I just bought the Bosch dishwasher, middle of the line and LOVE it! I had to replace a Kitchen Aid which only lasted me 7 years and quite a few service calls. And I paid over $800 for the Kitchen Aid! I read a lot of reviews/recommendations and mostly all said to go with Bosch. The Bosch does have a machine that starts @ $499...check them out! You won't believe how quiet it is...unbelievable!

Yes, the Bosch is a non-heat drying machine BUT it gets way hotter than the average dishwasher. It does run a little longer, but uses less water. The energy savings comes from the condensation drying. You do not open the door to dry- you leave it closed. You get a $50 rebate. I already received my rebate which was mailed in March. I don't have any problems with dishes coming out wet, you just have to let it finish it's non-heated drying cycle.

mamasproject said:
I just bought the Bosch dishwasher, middle of the line and LOVE it! I had to replace a Kitchen Aid which only lasted me 7 years and quite a few service calls. And I paid over $800 for the Kitchen Aid! I read a lot of reviews/recommendations and mostly all said to go with Bosch. The Bosch does have a machine that starts @ $499...check them out! You won't believe how quiet it is...unbelievable!

Yes, the Bosch is a non-heat drying machine BUT it gets way hotter than the average dishwasher. It does run a little longer, but uses less water. The energy savings comes from the condensation drying. You do not open the door to dry- you leave it closed. You get a $50 rebate. I already received my rebate which was mailed in March. I don't have any problems with dishes coming out wet, you just have to let it finish it's non-heated drying cycle.

How does the condensation drying work?

Had a Bosch with the no heat dry and just did not get the dishes dry enough. We were always hand drying. Bosch are European and don't have the heat option mainly because electricity is so expensive in Europe. But otherwise, it is a fantastic dishwasher. But even dryers with heat drying don't work as well as they used to because they have all decreased the amount of time for the drying to be more energy efficient.

I don't like the washers with the utensil tray on the door because I've found they don't get as clean - mainly spoons that get so they are facing the door and don't get spray.

I currently have a Fridgidaire. It is very quiet and does this partly by using a smaller pump and alternating the top and bottom spray arms. It gets dishes very clean. However, in order to have dry dishes, I need to run it with the heat option on for the rinse cycyle in addition to having the heat dry option turned on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are getting ready to gut job/remodel our kitchen, which includes a whole set of new appliances. Ended up with a Kitchenaid, as that is the brand we've had twice and we're happy with.

We checked lots of online reviews, some of the models that Consumer Reports did rate/review had TERRIBLE customer reviews. There are several places to find reviews online, various shopping sites have their own review pages, Amazon, Epinions, Google, etc. we read them all before we narrowed it down. So do your homework before you buy and there are a lot of deals out there! Sears price matches plus 10% and I was able to save several hundred dollars by the time I was done comparing prices on the various appliances. So shop around!!! :)

Beez said:
mynewpool said:
How does the condensation drying work?
Condensers will not work very well in warm humid areas such as most of Texas is. They really need a cool dry climate to work efficiently. You might wanna keep that in mind...

Condensation drying works by using the hot air trapped inside the dishwasher to dry the dishes. There is no drying vent in the Bosch so all the hot air stays inside the dishwasher. I never have to dry my dishes and even the plastics are dry. That is the most common complaint with the Bosch. Like I said you have to let the dishwasher finish it's condensation drying. If you turn your dishwasher on at night before bed and put the dishes away in the morning they will all be dry.

I don't understand how the climate would effect an inside appliance.

I have a GE in our house we bought new four years ago. This is the worst dishwasher and all dishes must be rinsed very well to get clean. It is very quiet however.

I installed a new Kenmore in my previous house about 12 years ago. It was also quiet. The best feature was that it had a built in disposal. We didn't even have to rinse the dishes and they always emerged shiny and clean.

The built in disposals supposedly make the units noisier, but I don't really mind that, and prefer to have that done for me :)
I read that the european models tend to have less room for pots and pans (if that's the sort of thing you put in yours.)

From what I understand a lot of the issues with "clean" dishes is the soap that's used. Not all detergents are created equal. And if you rinse before hand and use a brand that is meant to break down the food, you'll end up with a film on your dishes. Not sure how much of that is rhetoric however.

I've never rinsed a dish beforehand.

You've already received some good suggestions, but my advice: check the warranty. I'd be willing to stretch my budget a bit for products with a better warranty. A good warranty says two things - 1. the product is probably better in terms of build and materials quality and 2. if something does happen, you won't be spending more money.

For this reason, I do NOT recommend KitchenAid for built-in appliances. My whole kitchen is KitchenAid (microhood, range, dishwasher, wine cooler, refrigerator) and the only item that hasn't had problems is my blender.

Also, try to get a stainless steel interior, even if the outside is black - that's the good thing about mine, I NEVER have to clean the inside.

You may want to check reviews more carefully if noise is a concern; mine is whisper quiet but that doesn't really matter to me since I only run it overnight.

Kenmore doesn't make anything; they just "re-brand". Every year Sears sends out an "invitation to bid" on their Kenmore line, and then they choose the manufacturer that they feel provides the best product/features/price for them. If KitchenAid wins one year and Maytag wins the next, it still gets the Kenmore name. You, on the other hand, get the Sears backing, but you may or may not get the best brand, if that has any importance to you.

Dishwasher detergent is formulated to attack the softest material first, so some food on your dishes is a good thing! Have you ever seen glasses that were cloudy from the dishwasher? That is because the detergent went looking for the softest material in the dishwasher, and since there wasn't any food, the glasses were the next softest material and they became etched.

IIRC, Bosch has a 25 year warranty on the stainless steel tub, and pretty impressive parts warranties as well. Very quiet, very energy efficient and low water consumption. We run ours when we are watching TV, and it is only about 20 feet away. Can't hear a thing unless it is draining and the air gap gurgles!

If this helps..

There are really only 3 big or common manufactures of appliances. Lets start here....GE= Hotpoint, RCA, GE Monogram, GE Profile etc.. and of course some Kenmore appliances as stated. Next is Electrolux= Frigidaire or Frigidaire=Electrolux one and the same. They also include some other brands like Kelvinator, Tappan, Westinghouse, and also Kenmore. Frigidaire was also Whites Consolidated Industries or WCI. Interesting fact that Frigidaire appliances were made by General Motors in the 60s and late 70s. Next is Whirlpool= Roper, Estates. Insignia (Best Buy's brand), Kitchen Aid(their top of the line). now they own and build all Maytag products. This includes such brands like...Amana, Magic Chef, Speed Queen, Admiral, Crosly, and Kenmore. Im sure other off brands that I can't think of right now.

This does not mean there are not other brands but a lot of them are considered new to the appliance market. For example... LG, they are really Zenith corp. Some of Samsung was owned for a short time by Whirlpool but they sold them to another company. Bosch has been around for a while in other countries but considered new to the U.S. as far as major brands go. Bosch dishwashers and Thermador dishwashers are the same. I know I am leaving out some others.

I have been an appliance tech for 27 years and I am here to tell you they ALL break....BUT the best piece of advice I can give you is this. If you will need to have a product repaired its best to look at the upfront warranty on the appliance itself. Like Whirlpool for example, they have on average a 1 year overall warranty on the appliance. But if you opt for the Kitchen Aid then it may have a 2 year overall and a 5 year on the motor/pump and electronics. This is the factory warranty not an extended. These warranties change from model to model so ask the sales person. The latest word that we are hearing these days is that most all manufactures are considering switching to a 90 day warranty on the product and a 1 year warranty on other parts.

Dishwashers have become much quieter over the years because most of them have now use 2 pumps. One small wash motor to do the cleaning and another even smaller motor to drain the water. They also have added more sound insulation on the upper/higher end models. Brands like Bosch enclose there cases to help keep the noise down. Keep in mind this runs up repair bills because most of the time those types will need to be removed from under the counter for repairs and like I said they ALL break. Other than any other type of appliance (washers,dryers, Refrigerators etc), dishwashers are built stronger on average the more you spend money up to a certain point. A 299.00 dishwasher is a lighter built then a 600.00 dollar dishwasher.

So to sum it up its like this........If you choose a brand other then a domestic brand it may be harder to find someone to repair it or to find parts.
Everyone has an opinion on a brand which is okay. Where one person may like GE for example, another may have had many problems etc....The way I look at it is if I can repair the appliance below half the cost of the appliance and the customer is left with something he or she will be able to use for a few more years to come then its a good brand. But when I go out for the first or second repair and it cost more to repair then its worth then that brand is not as good.

I hope this info helps you decide. If you would like to PM me I will give you my recommendations on brands in my opinion.

Sorry so long!

Tim

I also have a Bosch. The dishs do dry. It heats the water to 160deg. The cycle length changes, determined by how dirty the wash water is. DW wanted the quietest one there was. It is quiet, the only way to tell its on is the red light shining on the floor or pump discharging into the garbage disposal. Payed way more than I would of liked to, 1.4k it better last a life time. When the DW is happen I'm happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.