underlayment to prevent vole damage

Jul 31, 2009
Over the last couple of years we have had some problems with voles digging tunnels under the pool liner. There are distinct tunnels and several areas near the edge of the pool that have the sand underneath dug out. There are several areas that now have no support under the liner. I am expecting the liner not to last too much longer.

Does anyone know if we use a product like happy bottom when we replace the liner if this will help? I have searched the forum and found a couple of threads on voles, but no suggestions on using an underlayment to reduce the effect of the vole tunnels.As of now, we are putting out bait to kill them, but I am not sure how effective it will be in keeping the population under control.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I have voles, among other backyard zoo animals. I have an IGP, though. House was vacant/pool closed for about 2 years. I had a massive groundhog problem when we moved in. Of course, nothing like a vole. They had tunneled VERY deep along the long edge of the deck. The soil is still sinking 2 years later, after backfilling at least twice a year.

You already know that you'll need to replace the liner. As for the varmints, stay in close touch with the local nursery. They carry products that Lowes/HD won't carry, and work twice as good. I have to buy a package of groundhog smokebombs yearly, and that's the only place I can get them. They will certainly carry a product that willd deter/exterminate voles/moles, etc. That's about all you can do, really. Let them know what you're dealing with, and they'll probably have a granular application that you can use to make them move to your neighbor's yard.

I am constantly battling the hogs, moles, voles, bats, raccoons, mice, and owls. Now, the bats are beneficial, I know that. However, they really do make a mess when they take up residence between the deck and the house. Owls will get the mice who are trying to invade my heater.

I don't know anything about that type of pool bottom, though it seems that it would help from having the liner dip down dramatically into a mle hole. Well, the mole trench. As long as the trenches are far enough away from each other it should hold up the liner, I would think. As for other methods, from what I learned the moles/voles may just be using your yard as an expressway to another yard, so getting rid of them or the things they like the eat (grubs) won't necessarily make them go away. The best thing I've heard is to dig a thin, shallow trench around the pool and put underground a small wire fence to stop them from going under the pool. I think it has to be 8 inches deep? Good luck!

Personally I employ the big black dog and wiley cat method...we had voles in my yard something horrible...real ankle benders...But then we got our big black dog...part Golden Retriver, part Border Collie, and part German Shepherd...She would do the rounding up...once the were above ground...She'd herd them to the cat and the cat would be hiding kind in one of the holes...so when they ran toward the hole to escape the dog...bam...right into the wiley cats waiting mouth...Then the two would bat them around a little flip them up in the air and stuff until one by one the cat would bring them to the back door for us...Yup...within the first year, they were all gone...Then we got the pool...So...They're for rent, but a team like this doesn't come cheap!!! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.