Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alan70062 from Metairie LA

1. Back To Top    #1
    Metairie, LA

Alan70062 from Metairie LA

I recently discovered your website and decided to join today. I have been using Pristine Blue (very expensive) for about 8 years but have had some algae problems the last couple years. I am going to order a test kit and give the BBB method a try!! Wish me luck!!! Do you think this is the correct move, to get away from Pristine Blue??

12,000 gallon, 15'x30' above ground, vinyl liner, 1.5hp pump, sand filter. Metairie, LA

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Alan70062 from Metairie LA

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, definitely start going BBB. The problem with Pristine Blue from what I can tell is that it is mostly minerals. Although minerals do have disinfecting properties to vary degrees depending on concentration, they are not effective sanitizers alone and are not EPA approved for pool sanitization on their own. Only chlorine, bromine, or biguanide products can fill this need.

Go with BBB. Check out Pool School and post questions when they arise.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Alan70062 from Metairie LA

Yes. Pristine Blue is a very expensive copper-based program that isn't worth the expense and leads to nothing but trouble.

You'll probably have to replace some of your water to get the copper down, but trust me as a former user of a mineral-ionizer system you are making the right decision!

I probably spend 1/5 the amount of money now compared to what I used to spend on my pool. You'll be very satisfied with the outcome.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner